Primary files

Author Message
Scotty 09/08/2003 09:00 am
I have an OEP project that is downloading nothing but PDFs whose URLs I already know, so I am grabbing directly, using a macro like this:

http://www.site.com/File_{:000..999}.pdf

The strange thing is that OEP is downloading these files as .primary files (there is no copy of the actual PDF files to be found).

I`ve checked the help file, but I *don`t have* any option to not use primary files (OEE 2.9.1280). Seriously!

How do I make sure the program just downloads the files themselves, and not primaries? I know I can rename the .primary files and use them as PDFs, but I`m worried about confusing OEP by doing this, making it think it hasn`t downloaded files that is actually has.
Oleg Chernavin 09/09/2003 01:00 am
What Offline Explorer does is it downloads a file and places it with a .primary extension. Then the parsing process takes the file, extracts links, places changed file (with ofline links) as a normal file and removes .primary copy.

Perhaps something has happened while parsing PDF files. Can you please send me a link to some of these PDFs - you may use support@metaproducts.com if you don`t want to share real URLs here.

I will see what is wrong there and make a solution shortly.

Thank you!

Best regards,
Oleg Chernavin
MetaProducts corp.
09/09/2003 06:03 am
> What Offline Explorer does is it downloads a file and places it with a .primary extension. Then the parsing process takes the file, extracts links, places changed file (with ofline links) as a normal file and removes .primary copy.
>
> Perhaps something has happened while parsing PDF files. Can you please send me a link to some of these PDFs - you may use support@metaproducts.com if you don`t want to share real URLs here.
>
> I will see what is wrong there and make a solution shortly.
>
> Thank you!

Here you go:

http://www.memoriachilena.cl/archivos2/pdfs/MC0005001.pdf
Oleg Chernavin 09/09/2003 07:04 am
I just loaded that single URL and no .primary file was left. Can you try to load a single file yourself to see if the issue reproduces this way or not?

Oleg.
Scotty 09/11/2003 10:01 am
> I just loaded that single URL and no .primary file was left. Can you try to load a single file yourself to see if the issue reproduces this way or not?
>
> Oleg.

I don`t get it with a single file. Perhaps it has to do with the fact that I`m using a macro like {:05000..06000}...

In any case, I`m just renaming the .primary files and they`re working fine as PDFs. One question, though -- will anything bad happen if I rename these files *while* OEP is downloading the site?
Oleg Chernavin 09/12/2003 07:42 am
Nothing bad. At least, with PDF files.

Oleg.
QuantumShadow 10/12/2003 08:19 am
Hi, Oleg.
i am having the same problem with primary files, but in my case the originals where html and not pdfs, so all the links from that file where not downloaded.
what can i do?
and i don`t have the option to not save primary files.

If i change names of the primary files back to html and rerun the OE,
will it work?

Thanks.

> Nothing bad. At least, with PDF files.
>
> Oleg.
QuantumShadow 10/12/2003 01:32 pm
Sorry for the question, the problem solved itself :)
when i resumed my download after few hours the .primary files changed back .html
it just took time for OE to finish parsing i guess.
but anyway i wonder if i stopped the download in the middle will they remain .primary?
if so how can i turn off this feature?

Thanks again.

> Hi, Oleg.
> i am having the same problem with primary files, but in my case the originals where html and not pdfs, so all the links from that file where not downloaded.
> what can i do?
> and i don`t have the option to not save primary files.
>
> If i change names of the primary files back to html and rerun the OE,
> will it work?
>
> Thanks.
Oleg Chernavin 10/13/2003 07:54 am
This is how things work - when some file gets loaded, OE saves it with .primary extension. The file gets added to the parsing queue (you see the Parsing (XX) message on the Status Bar). If you stop the download, parsing queue is also stopped, because it may take a lot of time to parse all files. Thus, .primary files will remain until you resume the download and parsing will continue.

Oleg.
QuantumShadow 11/14/2003 05:50 pm
Oleg, i have another problem with this primary files:
when i limit the links level to some number, 5 for example,
OE downloads all the files until that level and stops, but when i looked in the directory tree
i found a lot of .primary files instead of .html files, they where left unconverted, so i can`t use this .html files now although they r under the 5 level limit.
shouldn`t OE convert all primary files to the original name before finishing ANY download?

Thanks,
QuantumShadow.


> This is how things work - when some file gets loaded, OE saves it with .primary extension. The file gets added to the parsing queue (you see the Parsing (XX) message on the Status Bar). If you stop the download, parsing queue is also stopped, because it may take a lot of time to parse all files. Thus, .primary files will remain until you resume the download and parsing will continue.
>
> Oleg.

Oleg Chernavin 11/15/2003 04:23 pm
It may happen in two cases - when you stop the Project download manually or when the directory contains many thousands of files already and gets overloaded, so OE cannot create extra normal files to convert from .primary ones.

Oleg.