Freezes after downloading large number of files

Steve 03/29/2006 07:02 am
Hello. I just tried out oep (trial) and I think I may have found a bug. After downloading about 14000 files (shown in the lower left status bar), the entire program would freeze and so does my computer. The site I tried was http://www.mame.dk/

Steve
Oleg Chernavin 03/29/2006 07:02 am
Steve,

One possible reason is that there are lots of files on that site that are located in one directory. In this case, Windows file system may work very slow when there are over few thousand files there.

If this is so, I would suggest you to remove that directory, turn on Directory Overload protection in the Options dialog | File Locations section, click OK button and redownload the site.

Best regards,
Oleg Chernavin
MetaProducts corp.
03/29/2006 07:02 am
Thank you for that option. I turned on directory overload and the problem persists. I looked at what was downloaded and yes, some directories have over 4000 files. Even though extra directories were made from Directory Overload Protection, the OEPro still froze around 14000 files.
> Steve,
>
> One possible reason is that there are lots of files on that site that are located in one directory. In this case, Windows file system may work very slow when there are over few thousand files there.
>
> If this is so, I would suggest you to remove that directory, turn on Directory Overload protection in the Options dialog | File Locations section, click OK button and redownload the site.
>
> Best regards,
> Oleg Chernavin
> MetaProducts corp.
Oleg Chernavin 03/29/2006 07:02 am
I would ask you to remove all these directories and redownload the site. It looks like some directory is already full and slows down the system.

Besides, I would ask you to download the following update:

http://www.metaproducts.com/download/betas/oep1247.zip

Unzip the file and replace the old oe.exe file with the new one. Please try to download the site using the new version. We have certain stability improvements there.

Please keep me informed on how it works.

Thank you.

Oleg.