Download from HDD

Fred Flange 03/29/2006 07:02 am
Hello All

I have downloaded some .ra files on to my HDD, but would like to extract portions of them.

Is it possible to get OE Pro to do this using the Start/End functions?

If so, what is the protocol I should use in the URL box of the Project Properties.

I know how to use the Start/End functions, it is the start of the address that I need to know.

Kind regards

Fred F.
Oleg Chernavin 03/29/2006 07:02 am
Dear Fred Flange,

I am sorry, but these parameters will not work for file:// protocol. They work in RTSP protocol only.

Best regards,
Oleg Chernavin
MetaProducts corp.
Hello Oleg

Thanks for your reply.

Is there any way of doing what I want to do?

The problem is that the site I download from replaces the files with new ones each week, so I can`t download again on-line.

Can`t we `fool the system` in to thinking it is on-line or something like that.

Kind regards

Fred F.
[Keep up the great work]
What if Offline Explorer Pro would copy the file automatically to some other location every time it loads it. This way, newly loaded files will not overwrite each other. This could be done using AutoExport feature.

Oleg.
Hello Oleg

Thanks for the reply - but..

I don`t quite understand what you are saying.

Are you saying it might be possible, if so can you explain again how it might be done please.

Many thanks

Fred F.
Oh, this is simple. Just place the following line after the URL:

Additional=AutoExport=c:\dir{:year}{:0month}{:0day}\;

This will export the file automatically to the unique-named directory, so the file is not overwritten by following downloads.

Oleg.
Hello Oleg

Perhaps it is simple for you, but I afraid for me it is quite difficult.

I am getting `file not found`

Can you just confirm the format for the URL - ie. File// etc

and

Does the line you have suggested for `additional` just get typed as you have written it?

Kind regards

Fred F.

> Oh, this is simple. Just place the following line after the URL:
>
> Additional=AutoExport=c:\dir{:year}{:0month}{:0day}\;
>
> This will export the file automatically to the unique-named directory, so the file is not overwritten by following downloads.
>
> Oleg.
No. Suppose, you have the following URL to download from RTSP site:

rtsp://someserver.com/file.rm

So, you place the following two lines in the URLs field:

rtsp://someserver.com/file.rm
Additional=AutoExport=c:\dir{:year}{:0month}{:0day}\;

This way, every time when you download the Project, the newly loaded file will be copied to the unique-named directory.

Oleg.
Hello Oleg

I`m sorry but I am lost now...

I want to be able to `copy` part of a file which is already on my HDD.

Is what you are suggesting going to be able to let me do this?

Kind regards

Fred F.

> No. Suppose, you have the following URL to download from RTSP site:
>
> rtsp://someserver.com/file.rm
>
> So, you place the following two lines in the URLs field:
>
> rtsp://someserver.com/file.rm
> Additional=AutoExport=c:\dir{:year}{:0month}{:0day}\;
>
> This way, every time when you download the Project, the newly loaded file will be copied to the unique-named directory.
>
> Oleg.
>
Hello Again Oleg

I have read you message again now, and can understand what you are saying about the unique file.

But this is not the problem, I only mentioned the fact that the file changes so that you would understand that I am unable to download from the source again those bits which I want separated.

So that leaves me with the original task of `editing` by downloading from my HDD - any further thoughts?

Kind regards

Fred F

> Hello Oleg
>
> I`m sorry but I am lost now...
>
> I want to be able to `copy` part of a file which is already on my HDD.
>
> Is what you are suggesting going to be able to let me do this?
>
> Kind regards
>
> Fred F.
>
> > No. Suppose, you have the following URL to download from RTSP site:
> >
> > rtsp://someserver.com/file.rm
> >
> > So, you place the following two lines in the URLs field:
> >
> > rtsp://someserver.com/file.rm
> > Additional=AutoExport=c:\dir{:year}{:0month}{:0day}\;
> >
> > This way, every time when you download the Project, the newly loaded file will be copied to the unique-named directory.
> >
> > Oleg.
> >
Yes, I am sorry, but it is not yet possible to extract a portion of a RealMedia file.

Oleg.
Hello Again Oleg

Thanks again for all your help.

I am trying to do this another way now by creating .ram files which will play just the portion I want.

I can get a `Start` OR an `End` to work, but not both in the same .ram

e.g.

file://E:\Music\Jazz\Programme.ra?end=1:25 - Works OK

file://E:\Music\Jazz\Programme.ra?Start=1:00 - Works OK

BUT

file://E:\Music\Jazz\Programme.ra?Start=1:00End=1:25 - Doesn`t work.

It works OK when using OEP on-line, so I know the format is OK, but when I try it in a .ram file it just plays the whole file.

Can you offer any advice on this, or is there a site somewhere that contains the various `commands` for .ra/.ram files.

Kind regards

Fred F

> Yes, I am sorry, but it is not yet possible to extract a portion of a RealMedia file.
>
> Oleg.
Well, it should be Start=1:00&End=1:25 - you missed & symbol.

Oleg.
Fred T. 03/29/2006 07:02 am
>
> I am sorry, but these parameters will not work for file:// protocol. They work in RTSP protocol only.

Oleg,

I just come accross the discussion, but haven`t give it a try. Is it possible to setup a virtual directory on IIS points the the downloaded folder and download from http://localhost/...? I think there should be no problem for htmls, but not suer how rtsp protocol works.

Fred T.
Sorry, this will not work either - you need a RealServer software for that. Thses Start=...End... parameters work in RTSP protocol only.

Oleg.
fred flange 03/29/2006 07:02 am
Hello Oleg

Still trying to get this to work.

I can get Real Player to accept the parameters if I use the menu items: FILE/OPEN then paste the location e.g.

File://E:/Downloads/radio/030302.rm?start=1:10&end=1:30

But I can`t get it to work from a .ram file.

If I could get the .ram file to work I wouldn`t have to extract the items, as I could play them from the main file.

I know this is slightly OT if I am not using OEP to do the job, but wonder if you or any other members would be able to offer any advice, or point me in the direction of a forum which might discuss this topic.

Kind regards

Fred F.

> Sorry, this will not work either - you need a RealServer software for that. Thses Start=...End... parameters work in RTSP protocol only.
>
> Oleg.
fred flange 03/29/2006 07:02 am
Hello Again Oleg

This is going to sound strange I know, but I have managed to get it to work as follows:

File://E:/Downloads/radio/030302.rm??Start=&start=1:10&end=1:30

You will notice that there is an extra ? and a dummy parameter `Start=`

I have no idea why this works, and wonder if anyone else has.

Regards

Fred F.
> I can get Real Player to accept the parameters if I use the menu items: FILE/OPEN then paste the location e.g.
>
> File://E:/Downloads/radio/030302.rm?start=1:10&end=1:30
>
> But I can`t get it to work from a .ram file.
>
> If I could get the .ram file to work I wouldn`t have to extract the items, as I could play them from the main file.
>
I have no idea why it is so - perhaps, noone can look at the source code of RealPlayer. :-)

Oleg.

Gunnar 03/29/2006 07:02 am
editing rm-files

Real.com has a RmEditor which I used long time ago, or maybe it was the "edit file" option in RealProducer??

However, if I remember right ,I run into crashes with large files?? As well as some "unknown codec" or similar.

Another solution might be to use EO-video, www.EO-video.com, to convert to (lossless, no compression) AVI, and then Realproducer to convert AVI to back to rm..hehe.

Btw, for those ?start=xx&,etc things, the socalled smi-files, *.smi, should be a possibilty to give commands to the realplayer on what rm-files to play, where to stop and start, etc.. kind of like a script or batch file.

Ouch, I have to test that double-question-mark thing, makes some sense as the first ? is maybe used to (blindly) forward what follows to the next software, which then starts with the second ?, forwarded to whoever is fed that stuff.

PS "File:xxx.xxx.xxx" is the way one tells Realplayer to play a file, not an URL, at some level of their software. Check the SDK and the TestPlay (??something like that) example.
Regarding SMI files (SMIL) - they are used as a kind of script on how the RealPlayer presentation should run. They may even combine several video streams and describe a sequence - first we play stream A from XX:XX to YY:YY, then - stream B from ZZ:ZZ, etc. The visual output may include various screen areas - on area A we show some graphics, on area B - stream A, area C shows certain text, etc.

Oleg.