anyone have a project that works with online.wsj.com

michael mcghee 03/29/2006 07:02 am
i want to use this product to synch the wall street journal on line to my hard drive. i can`t seem to get the product to use my user id and password correctyl - efen when i open the site and tell it to save my credentials. a project for this widely used site would be great.
Oleg Chernavin 03/29/2006 07:02 am
I just answered you directly. If you didn`t receive my E-mail, please let me know.

Best regards,
Oleg Chernavin
MetaProducts corp.
Tim Morgan 03/29/2006 07:02 am
Hi Oleg - I`m also looking for an offline browser that will sync - on a scheduled basis while I sleep - with WSJ.com and a number of other sites like nytimes.com, barrons.com where logins are required and I can`t get IE (XP) to download them as robots.txt gets in the way (I don`t understand how it works).

Will your product solve this for me? Thanks
Yes, you should be able to do that. Offline Explorer supports scheduling for each Project. To get past login, you can use Alt-Ctrl keys while submitting your logon info in Offline Explorer Pro`s Internal browser. This creates a new Project with the logon info recorded. Then you will need to fine-tune Project settings to get what you need and setup the Project Schedule.

You can also use Schedule Manager in the View menu to do it in a visual way.

Oleg.
> Yes, you should be able to do that. Offline Explorer supports scheduling for each Project. To get past login, you can use Alt-Ctrl keys while submitting your logon info in Offline Explorer Pro`s Internal browser. This creates a new Project with the logon info recorded. Then you will need to fine-tune Project settings to get what you need and setup the Project Schedule.
>
> You can also use Schedule Manager in the View menu to do it in a visual way.
>
> Oleg.

Thanks Oleg; but can you please be a bit cleaer about when to use CTRL-ALT when signing in (i.e. when I click the sign in button, or hit entyer). Also, given the choice at WSJ do I use secure or standard connection? I tried last night and was a failure. Thanks
It should not matter whether to use standard or secure connection. Alt-Ctrl keys should be used the following way - you press them before clicking the Submit button, hold them pressed down, click the Sumbit button and you can release the keys. Immediately when clicking Submit, you should get the new Project Properties dialog with the URLs field filled with the submitted form data.

Oleg.
> It should not matter whether to use standard or secure connection. Alt-Ctrl keys should be used the following way - you press them before clicking the Submit button, hold them pressed down, click the Sumbit button and you can release the keys. Immediately when clicking Submit, you should get the new Project Properties dialog with the URLs field filled with the submitted form data.
>
> Oleg.

Thanks Oleg, but it isn`t working (no project prop dialog; nothing). I get the impression - after trying several offline browsers - that the guys at wsj.com are a bit more determined than you might think. Just as an example...Let`s say your username was mitnagrom, and your password was newkbw...what exactly would you do to make sure that it worked? Thanks.
Guillermo Garduno 03/29/2006 07:02 am
Oleg,

I also need to sync online.wsj.com ... can you help me?

Regards...

Guillermo
I just went to the site and it looks like it remembers my logon info. So, I got logged on automatically. This way I simply supplied the following URL to Offline Explorer:

http://online.wsj.com/home/us

I allowed loading from the starting server and all directories in URL Filters. Another important thing is to add the following to the URL Filters | Filename | Custom configuration | Excluded keywords list:

logout

This will prevent Offline Explorer from logging out automatically.

This worked for me well.

Oleg.
> I just went to the site and it looks like it remembers my logon info. So, I got logged on automatically. This way I simply supplied the following URL to Offline Explorer:
>
> http://online.wsj.com/home/us
>
> I allowed loading from the starting server and all directories in URL Filters. Another important thing is to add the following to the URL Filters | Filename | Custom configuration | Excluded keywords list:
>
> logout

Thanks - did you set up the password for lHTML forms, or the first option? Thanks
>
> This will prevent Offline Explorer from logging out automatically.
>
> This worked for me well.
>
> Oleg.
Oleg, thanks again for your help. I tried settin git up as you instructed, and it was successful oin copying the directory structure (2600+ files). However, it actuallly did not copy the data in the files - every `article` html file is actually a copy of the login screen, despite the fact`that I put the login instructions in the password menu.

I have tried and tried but not been able to get my copy of OE to do the ctrl-alt thing you mentioned originally. Are you sure that in your copies, you have downloaded true files and not just login screens? Can you please give me the exact details of how the password setup is arranged in your project?

Thanks
No, I didn`t set password in the Project at all. When I was logging on the site the last time, perhaps I asked the site to remember me as a logged user all the time. So, every time when I open it now, it is already logged on. Offline Explorer loads it properly because of that. Can you please try that as well?

Oleg.
It doesn`t work for me. Thanks anyway. The WSJ login screen is all that it gets, although it is correctly copying the tree structure. I will look elsewhere - I must not be clever enough to work this one.
Does this happen for all pages that you downloaded with Offline Explorer, or there are some normal pages with contents, while all others - are logon screens?

Oleg.
It happens for all pages other than a few which are allowed for general offline browsing on any platform (the headlines pages for US, Asia, Europe for example). The trick is to try to actually read an article, which appears not to be possible. If you open the article files in the directory trees that hve been copied, you will find they are all logon screens (in my case at least). And I have my password information included in the project (i`ve tried for html and other settings now to no avail)
Tim,

Can you please write us directly to support@metaproducts.com ? This was we will communicate faster to solve the problem. What I will be interested in is to know which pages are enabled for viewing without a password and which - not. Then I will be able to test such protected pages myself.

Thank you.

Oleg.
dj 03/29/2006 07:02 am
> I just answered you directly. If you didn`t receive my E-mail, please let me know.
>
> Best regards,
> Oleg Chernavin
> MetaProducts corp.

Ok - how do you do this ?

I want to do the same thing with my account
I had good experience loading the site when I asked it to remember me logged on. I set Offline Explorer to use MS IE Cookies and identify itself as MS IE 6.0 in the Options dialog. If this doesn`t help, please let me know.

Best regards,
Oleg Chernavin
MP Staff
SK 04/22/2006 11:53 pm
> I had good experience loading the site when I asked it to remember me logged on. I set Offline Explorer to use MS IE Cookies and identify itself as MS IE 6.0 in the Options dialog. If this doesn`t help, please let me know.
>
> Best regards,
> Oleg Chernavin
> MP Staff

Appreciate if you oculd share the template for wsj. Thanks in advance.
Oleg Chernavin 04/24/2006 02:48 am
Please tell me what exactly you want to download from this site. I will look at it and see what can be done.

Oleg.