Feature request: selected filetypes in one directory.

Author Message
GregF 03/29/2006 07:01 am
In a recent thread, you explained some rather elaborate measures for just viewing multimedia files from a site. I wish you had features closer to that of common offline browser systems. As a person who mainly wants to download adult sites, I just want to go through the image files and movie files preferably dumped into one directory with no subdirectories. You explained I could copy all the files to another directory but that`s a big waste of disk space and quite a chore. Please consider configuring something like that.
Oleg Chernavin 03/29/2006 07:01 am
Sorry for the late answer - I am in a vacation now.

I understand what you mean. However I can`t make a tool that is too flexible to implement any possible purpose of downloading Internet data. Such tool will be a huge, slow and hard to use piece of software. So, a separate tool should be made for such purposes. Or you can use Offline Explorer to load the site, export it to a plain directory and then delete Project files. This will add some time to perform the whole operation, but no files will be kept on your disk.

Best regards,
Oleg Chernavin
MetaProducts corp.
GregF 03/29/2006 07:01 am
Well then I wish *you* would develop that tool hehe. In one case, another program merely downloads a list of all the files on the site, then you just check what you want to download, be it all files, only image files, all files except javascript files, etc. Then the application goes back and fetches what you want. And you can also download into one directory.

I`m sticking with this one but damn it has its` inconveniences, and the "all or nothing" aspect of it requires lots and lots of hard drive space if a person wants to download lots of sites.

> Sorry for the late answer - I am in a vacation now.
>
> I understand what you mean. However I can`t make a tool that is too flexible to implement any possible purpose of downloading Internet data. Such tool will be a huge, slow and hard to use piece of software. So, a separate tool should be made for such purposes. Or you can use Offline Explorer to load the site, export it to a plain directory and then delete Project files. This will add some time to perform the whole operation, but no files will be kept on your disk.
>
> Best regards,
> Oleg Chernavin
> MetaProducts corp.
Oleg Chernavin 03/29/2006 07:01 am
There were ideas to add this kind of a site "pre-scan" to Offline Explorer. However the problem is that kind of scan requires to load most of the Web site to get all links to images, archive files, etc. In most cases, people do not need that deep download. This issue still holds me from adding this feature.

Maybe you would have ideas on how to overcome this.

Oleg.
GregF 03/29/2006 07:01 am
> There were ideas to add this kind of a site "pre-scan" to Offline Explorer. However the problem is that kind of scan requires to load most of the Web site to get all links to images, archive files, etc. In most cases, people do not need that deep download. This issue still holds me from adding this feature.
>
> Maybe you would have ideas on how to overcome this.
>
> Oleg.

Well all I know is, this product does a better job of getting content than any I`ve used. However, the necessity of downloading the entirety of the sites, and not being able to delete files, and having to navigate through tons of site subdirectories is a downer.

The best alternative I had previously found was an app that scanned the entire site first, then gave a myriad of options. The program would include or exclude certain filetypes, dump all content into one directory, or even download the site perfectly, as your app does. However your code is much better, you are a very clean programmer. And the other program had constant driver problems and other bugs causing crashes, it was essentially spaghetti code. I`m sure you know that expression.
Oleg Chernavin 03/29/2006 07:01 am
Yes, I understand you. What about some other way - you would point what kinds of links (visually) you would need from the site and Offline Explorer would then try to see if each link matches the criteria and loads it. I don`t have a very clear vision on that yet, but it may become a feature sometime.

Oleg.
GregF 03/29/2006 07:01 am
> Yes, I understand you. What about some other way - you would point what kinds of links (visually) you would need from the site and Offline Explorer would then try to see if each link matches the criteria and loads it. I don`t have a very clear vision on that yet, but it may become a feature sometime.
>
> Oleg.

Thanks for thinking of it, but I can`t quite grasp what you`re saying.
GregF 03/29/2006 07:01 am
Hey maybe it`s a matter of attitude. I`m actually browsing the `website` on my PC and it`s not so bad. Instant loading makes up for navigating pages, thumbnails etc. Still, my dream app would just give me my gigabytes of images and movies in one folder for maximum enjoyment. And it is a lot of hard drive space, all that stuff I don`t want or need.
Oleg Chernavin 03/29/2006 07:01 am
You could tell OE to load the whole site, but don`t save HTML files - only images and video. Simply uncheck all File Filters categories except Images and Video and load the Project. OE will load HTMLs only to find links to other files, but not save them to disk.

Oleg.
GregF 03/29/2006 07:01 am
> You could tell OE to load the whole site, but don`t save HTML files - only images and video. Simply uncheck all File Filters categories except Images and Video and load the Project. OE will load HTMLs only to find links to other files, but not save them to disk.
>
> Oleg.

Well why didn`t you say so! hehe. So doing that won`t cause me to lose any image or movie files?
Oleg Chernavin 03/29/2006 07:01 am
Yes, that should be so.

Oleg.
GregF 03/29/2006 07:01 am
> Yes, that should be so.
>
> Oleg.

Now if only you`d make it so everything could download to one directory :p
Oleg Chernavin 03/29/2006 07:01 am
You can do it already - export the Project with the "Do not create subdirectories" box checked.

Oleg.
GregF 03/29/2006 07:01 am
> You can do it already - export the Project with the "Do not create subdirectories" box checked.
>
> Oleg.

True but then a 1 gigabyte site takes up 2 gigabytes.
Oleg Chernavin 03/29/2006 07:01 am
Well, you can delete Project files to keep only one copy (exported). I am sorry, but I don`t have a better solution.

Oleg.
GregF 03/29/2006 07:01 am
Just curious, regarding the Export feature, if I do as you suggest (export then delete), what happens when I want to get newly posted files from the site, would I have to download the entire site again?

> Well, you can delete Project files to keep only one copy (exported). I am sorry, but I don`t have a better solution.
>
> Oleg.
Oleg Chernavin 03/29/2006 07:01 am
Oh, yes. Sorry, but it is so. Offline Explorer requires files to be in the download directory to check for updates.

Oleg.