Stop D/L of Macromedia, Microsoft, other

Bob Schmidt 03/29/2006 07:01 am
OE is a great program! I use it all the time.

One annoyance -- It seems just about every web site in the world links to Macromedia, Adobe and Microsoft for browser software and plug ins, and akamai for some useless (to me) piece of code buried deep in a 99 level directory structure that presumably relates to their media hosting.

It seems that almost every project file ends up with links to these sites if the setting is higher than 1 or 2 levels. The flurry of downloading from these sites is certainly time consuming and I assume it is clogging up my disk drive with duplicate urls data.

I don`t mind if OE downloads some of this stuff once, but I would prefer that new projects not download these links every time. How can I accomplish this?

Much obliged,

Bob Schmidt

Oleg Chernavin 03/29/2006 07:01 am
Dear Bob Schmidt,

You can simply set Ofline Explorer Pro Project to download only from the starting server - in the Properties dialog | URL Filters | Server. This should help.

Best regards,
Oleg Chernavin
MetaProducts corp.
Bob Schmidt 03/29/2006 07:01 am
Ok, I know I can do that. But many of the sites I d/l require setting to d/l from all servers or I don`t know whether the pages I am interested in are located on one server or many servers and I don`t want to miss content that might be of interest. At the same time I don`t want to get repeats of stuff I`ve already downloaded (and didn`t want in the first place like a link to download the latest version IE, Netscape, Acrobat, Flash).

Is it possible to add a feature that would enable me to prevent certain sites from downloading on a global basis - I know I can specify per project?

Or is it possible for OE to keep an index of sites it already "knows" about (i.e. exist in the Download director(y/ies) and check against those to avoid downloading them again - for example, not the "root" starting url in projects, but the sites that the starting url links to, and then lets me pick the ones that I want to prevent d/l-ing again - preferably on a global basis?

Oleg Chernavin 03/29/2006 07:01 am
Yes, it is possible as well. You can use Templates for that. Every time when you create a new Project (add a new one, use drag-and-drop, paste a URL - except Wizard), the default template is being used (or another template if you specify it manually). So, you can change the default template settings in the File | Templates dialog and these setting swill be applied to all new Projects automatically.

Also, you can apply some template to existing Projects easily. Just select the desired Project(s), right-click on them and choose Apply Template. You can select the desired section there (for example, only the URL Filters | Server) and ask to join keywords (checkbox below) to keep the current Project keywords from replacing by the template ones.

The above makes Project management quite flexible. The ability to join or replace Project keywords was added to 2.6 version.

Best regards,
Oleg Chernavin.