dial-up disconnects halfway while downloading. resume?

d. ng 03/29/2006 07:00 am
is OE able to resume downloads if my dial-up connection cuts off halfway while downloading? i`ve set the dial-up options to redial and the program does redial when i get disconnected, but after that nothing happens. the download doesn`t resume or restart.
Oleg Chernavin 03/29/2006 07:00 am
First, you can do it manually - go to Download menu and click on Suspend and the repeat it again. But it should resume automatically after timeout. It is 300 seconds by default. I would recommend you to set it to 30 or 60 seconds. It is in the Options dialog.

Best regards,
Oleg Chernavin
MetaProducts corp.
hi Oleg, i forgot to mention that i`m referring to the download of streaming media files. i tried to click on Suspend but the download doesn`t stop, it just continues to download. the status bar says "Suspending", but it doesn`t suspend.

also, if i get disconnected and redial, will OE be able to resume the download or will it restart from the beginning? thanks!

Oleg Chernavin 03/29/2006 07:00 am
Well, this is tough question. Frankly, there is almost no way to resume stopped streaming file, because Offline Explorer Pro main purpose is to download sites. However since there are many requests for such feature, I will do my best to add it to 2.6 version that should be released on the next week.

Right now Suspend only waits for all current files to be finished and then no new file downloads are started until you resume.

Best regards,
Oleg Chernavin
MetaProducts corp.
thanks again for the quick response Oleg. i can see that you definitely put in a lot of work into OE. YES, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE try and implement a resume function into OE. i realize that this is easier said than done, but it would help a great deal. i`m sure most would agree, especially us dial-up users. although it`s not the program`s main intent, a lot of users including myself are actually using OE for the sole purpose of downloading streaming media. that`s why i bought it! :)

i`m sure you`ve heard of Streambox. unfortunately, this program no longer works for the updated RTSP servers that require RealOne players. Offline Explorer is the only way now.

i look forward to the new version. thanks for all your work Oleg.