missing projects after computer crash

jared 06/25/2014 01:07 am
Hi there, I hope you are able to help me out. My computer froze this evening and I did a hard reset and when I re-opened Offline Explorer I saw that all my projects are missing! This is a big disaster for me because it would take a long time for me to re-create the projects and to remember their individual settings.

However, I have noticed that certain .mpx files I discovered on my computer seem to contain project information (I opened them with Notepad._ Is it possible to restore my projects with these .mpx files? Or is there some other place my projects were stored and is there a way to recover their settings? Thank you!!
Oleg Chernavin 06/25/2014 07:12 am
In most cases, it is easy to recover lost projects. All Projects are in the webdown.dat file, and there are many backups of that file.

Open the Options dialog | Advanced | File Locations section. Please see the Projects, Maps and Templates folder location.

Now quit Offline Explorer Pro, open Windows Explorer and browse to that folder. Select all files with the webdown filename (webdown.dat is the Projects file, the rest are backup copies) and copy them to another directory to keep them intact.

Select the most recent file with the maximum size and copy it back under the webdown.dat filename.

Start Offline Explorer Pro to see if all of your Projects are in place. If something is wrong with the Projects list, try to repeat the process with another webdown file.

Best regards,
Oleg Chernavin
MP Staff
jared 06/25/2014 02:13 pm
That worked perfectly! I don't know what happened to my computer but the settings and personal files for a lot of my programs got wiped out. Luckily I was able to recover the "webdown" files that were backed up with my Crashplan.

That was excellent. Thanks so much for your help.
Jared
Oleg Chernavin 06/26/2014 07:59 am
That's great! You are welcome!

Oleg.