Can we run both versions of OE on the same server?

Ping Chen 06/01/2012 09:30 am
Hi,

We are going to upgrade to latest version of OE. Since we are lack of spare servers, we would like to know if we can install the OE6.2 on the same server that has OE5.7 already. We don't want to interfere with OE5.7 during evalution process.

Thanks,
Ping Chen
Oleg Chernavin 06/02/2012 12:04 pm
Yes, you may simply install it to some other folder and the versions will not interfere.

Best regards,
Oleg Chernavin
MP Staff
Ping Chen 06/05/2012 09:16 am
Hi Oleg,
Thanks for your reply. I have a v6.2 installation already on my desktop so I installed v5.7 as a parallel in a new folder. I use this as a test before we install v6.2 on the server to run together with v5.7. Here are my observations:
(1) v5.7 replaced the v6.2 in "Start>All Programs>...".
(2) I can start v5.7 but it has the v6.2 user interface style while the version does show v5.7. It also recognize v6.2 projects. This is good and bad - the bad part is that I am not totally sure v5.7 runs independently.
(3) I can start v6.2 by going to the folder and clicking the oe.exe directly.
(4) The "uninstall" uninstalls v5.7 - there is no good way to cleanly uninstall v6.2 anymore. The workaround is to reinstall v6.2 and then uninstall. Otherwise one would have to manually delete the files and cleanup registry.

My original intention was to install v6.2 on top of v5.7; above excise is the reverse - I am not sure that is a factor or not. Could you please comment?

Thanks,
Ping

Oleg Chernavin 06/05/2012 01:39 pm
The best way would be to install 5.7 and copy its shortcuts to start and uninstall to Desktop. Then install 6.3 version and tell the installer to skip creating desktop shortcut.

This way you would have 5.7 shortcuts on Desktop and 6.3 - on the Start Menu.

The projects will be not independent.

Oleg.