If there''s no way to disable the creation of descr.wd3 files in the current version of Offl Exp Ent, I think it would be great if such an option appeared in future versions. Because one of the stongest points of Offl Exp Ent is the ability to download huge number of files, but this just collapses if many files are to be downloaded in the same folder. By the way, I''m not the only one who experiences this problem (it has been discussed on a bunch of forums).
> Best regards,
> Oleg Chernavin
> MP Staff
Thanks for the advice, Oleg. Well, enabling directory overload protection solved the problem. BUT WHAT WAS A PRICE!!! It took me a while to figure out was wrong. I hope you wouldn''t mind if criticize a little the way the directory overload protection is implemented. But let me start with pros of the method:
1. the method (the creation of folders that contain small number of files) is simple.
2. it solves the problem.
1. files are downloaded not where they should have been downloaded. That means if you partially download a project with, say, 40000 files and then start it again, all the files get downloaded all over again (even though ''do not download existing files'' is checked).
2. the links that are translated offline DO NOT point to the real location of the files but where they should have been downloaded (I have checked only the location of pictures. Clickable links may be ok). Consequently the project is not browsable (at least what concerns the pictures).
3. it is not easy to figure out what have happened to the files. They migth be in any of the folders.
4. not creating the descr.wd3 file would be soooo migth easier and more elegant.
Well, that is my opinion. Summing up I think that the current method is unnecessery sophisticated, messes up the location of the files and make the updating of the project impossible.
That would be great if there were an option to skip using descr.wd3.
Could I mention some other annoying things/bugs in Off Expl En 5.1?
This is currently solved by two ways - internal server automatically feeds correct files to Web browser when you browse inside Offline Explorer. And Export feature also corrects such links when you copy downloaded files.
However in (1) case, Offline Explorer checks all overloaded directories for all previously downloaded files. If you have a Project that fails to do this, let me know more details, I will fix it shortly.
In any case, I added the way to skip creating descr.wd3 files. here is the updated oe.exe (Pro version):
Run it from command line:
I am really open to critics, it helps me to improve Offline Explorer. So, please let me know any opinion - both negative and positive. I appreciate this.