Translated links and downloaded file name are different?

Oleg Chernavin 07/15/2008 08:55 am
This is a known feature. We made this rename of very long file names simply because Windows limits all filenames to 260 symbols, including full path. Since real URL can be really long, even several thousand symbols, Offline Explorer cuts the long part and replaces it with a hash of the rest part. This makes sure that all cut filenames are unique. Also, all links in downloaded Web pages are corrected to match shorter filenames. So this should not make a problem when browsing offline, only make filenames less readable. But, there is no other way to save very long filenames to a disk. CD/DVD filesystem is even more limited - to 64 symbols only.

Best regards,
Oleg Chernavin
MP Staff
Ryan Teoh 07/15/2008 09:15 am
Hi Oleg,

Just to clarify, my problem is because the links in downloaded Web pages do not seem to match the shorter file names saved unto disk by OE (They seem to be hashed too, but the last few characters of the shortened names are different from the shorterned file names saved to disk).

> This is a known feature. We made this rename of very long file names simply because Windows limits all filenames to 260 symbols, including full path. Since real URL can be really long, even several thousand symbols, Offline Explorer cuts the long part and replaces it with a hash of the rest part. This makes sure that all cut filenames are unique. Also, all links in downloaded Web pages are corrected to match shorter filenames. So this should not make a problem when browsing offline, only make filenames less readable. But, there is no other way to save very long filenames to a disk. CD/DVD filesystem is even more limited - to 64 symbols only.
>
> Best regards,
> Oleg Chernavin
> MP Staff
>
Oleg Chernavin 07/15/2008 09:32 am
Yes, I just got the E-mail from you and answered it.

Oleg.
Janet 09/30/2008 09:37 am
I was wondering if there''s a way to see or modify cookies that the internal browser of Offline explorer enterprise 5.1 makes. The thing is that, even when the option for OEE to use MS internet explorer cookies is checked, the cookies, that OEE makes, do not always appear in the default cookie folder (C:\Documents and Settings\janer\Cookies in WinXP SP2). And I desperately need to look at one of them which has to be somewhere but is definately not in the folder C:\Documents and Settings\janer\Cookies . Is there a special place where OEE keeps the cookies?

Thank you in advance, Oleg.
Janet.
Janet 09/30/2008 10:30 am
I wanted to post my question in the "Using IE cookies" thread. Sorry...
Oleg Chernavin 09/30/2008 11:08 am
Actually, Offline Explorer doesn''t create cookie files. It uses MS IE features for that and IE is responsible for cookie files creation and management.

Oleg.