Downloading a vBulletin-forum

John E. 04/15/2008 12:57 pm
Hello,

I want to download an entire vBulletin-forum (v. 3.6.4), but I am experiencing difficulties. I tried entering my username + password in the login-dialogue through the internal browser and then holding "Alt + Ctrl" to add it as a new project with my username and password incoporated in to project... but it stille doesen't download the whole content. All the forum areas, threads and my private messages which are protected by my username and password are not being downloaded. Only the area accessible without username and password is being downloaded

What Am I doing wrong? (I noticed i IE that when I log-in at the forum, there is a temporary webpage stating "you are now being logged in" - until it returns to the forum. Is this temporary webpage perhaps causing the trouble?- as mentioned earlier the forum is a vBulletin v.3.6.4)

Also - is there a smart way to setup a project-download for an entire forum in offline explorer, so that it doesn't become a huge-sized project. I mean - plain text doesnt take up that any mb's, but even though I turn off downloads of pictures and media in the project settings - dowloading a bunch of threads takes up much more space than I expected - why is that? Is it because the layout setting of the forum are "obligated" to be downloaded - and that every time a single thread is downloaded - the layout is downloaded once again?? Is there a way to make it a "compact download"?

Kind Regards, John E.

Oleg Chernavin 04/15/2008 01:57 pm
Can you try to check the NTLM box in the Options dialog - Proxy section? This should help with the protected site.

Regarding a more compact download - it doesn't load all layout, because usually only a couple of files on the whole site are responsible for layout. Maybe it would be good to uncheck File Filters - Images section? This usually makes only plain text downloads and the size will be significantly less.

Best regards,
Oleg Chernavin
MP Staff
John E. 04/15/2008 05:51 pm
Hi Oleg,

Checking the box worked - offline explorer now also downloads content that is username + password protected - thank you very much :)

A new question/issue has arissen though...

The deafult setting in my project seems to be that I am not logged in. I can then use the internal browser in offline explorer, to log-in even though I am offline and then view the password-protected content.

But when I export the project as a file (mht, chm or exe) I am again not logged-in, and I can't seem to "log-in" to the downloaded project when it's a .chm, .mht, .exe file etc.. .. Is there anyway to bypass this problem? That is that either I am always logged-in as default. Or that I am able to switch the projects "start-page" to the page when I am already logged-in. Hope this makes sense to you, since my explanation may be a bit confusing....

Thanks again, John

> Can you try to check the NTLM box in the Options dialog - Proxy section? This should help with the protected site.
>
> Regarding a more compact download - it doesn't load all layout, because usually only a couple of files on the whole site are responsible for layout. Maybe it would be good to uncheck File Filters - Images section? This usually makes only plain text downloads and the size will be significantly less.
>
> Best regards,
> Oleg Chernavin
> MP Staff
Oleg Chernavin 04/16/2008 03:40 am
Usually when you start downloading after you were logged on, it should save this state in all downloaded pages. The same should be in the exported ones.

If you don't want to do the redownload, changing the starting Project URL should help for the export. Just find the best page in the Project Map, right-click this file in Map and copy page URL. Replace the Project starting address with this URL.

Oleg.