Moving projects to a new machine

jhumur 01/13/2007 09:07 am
I'm trying to move all my projects to a new laptop. I plan to use OE on my new machine to access the already download projects, update them, etc. Can someone please tell me the best way to do this. Here's what I was planning to do:

1. Install OE on my new machine
2. Copy all the project folders over, then the DAT files.

Would that work? Do I need the webdown files too? What happens if in the process of moving the projects folders, the drive letter, or root folder designations change from the original (old) machine?
Oleg Chernavin 01/13/2007 10:33 am
You should move all .dat files, including webdown.dat. It is better to have all drives corresponding to the original computer. In this case, no additional changes are required.

If this is impossible, perhaps, it will be better to use Tools - Backup/Restore features.

Best regards,
Oleg Chernavin
MP Staff
jhumur 01/14/2007 04:35 am
Oleg,

Thank you for your advise. The Backup/Restore seems to like the best solution for me. I have already successfully backed up and restored a couple of the projects. But, I am experiencing some difficulty in the process. Sometimes, when I do a Backup, I get a small file of 1-3 KB when the project itself is significantly larger. I don't get any error messages. Do you have any suggestions on how to avoid it?
Oleg Chernavin 01/14/2007 09:52 am
Does this happen on the same projects or one time it may give the proper file and another time - small file on one Project?

Oleg.