Restricting the growth of .MPX files from OE Enterprise

Anthony 02/21/2006 07:07 am
Hi,

I wonder if you can assist with a problem I`m having with Offline Explorer Enterprise. I`ve got some large downloads which occur nightly, and its emerged over the last couple of days that these are generating very big .MPX files - which I believe are MAP files, being just lists of pages which have been downloaded. I wanted to know if there was any way to restrict the size of these MAP files. One such file was occupying 700MB, and presumably would continue to grow without boundary. I know that I can limit the size of the log file, but can I stop the map files growing? Indeed, if possible, can the map files be turned off and not generated? If there`s no other option, I guess I could periodically delete these files by a scheduled job independent of Offline Explorer Enterprise, but I`m hoping that they can be controlled by the application somehow.

Many thanks,

Anthony.
Oleg Chernavin 02/21/2006 07:34 am
Yes, you can turn off MAP files generation if you run Offline Explorer Enterprise from the command line:

oe.exe /NoMap

Best regards,
Oleg Chernavin
MP Staff
Anthony Quinn 08/01/2006 05:21 am
> Yes, you can turn off MAP files generation if you run Offline Explorer Enterprise from the command line:
>
> oe.exe /NoMap
>
> Best regards,
> Oleg Chernavin
> MP Staff

Oleg,

I've used this command line flag to successfully stop MPX files being created and eating up space. However, occasionally, I will forget to run OE from the command line, will set a project downloading through the interface, and will thus create an MPX file where its not wanted (clogging up my C: drive). Once this has happened, am I safe to delete the MPX file which is created? Or will this cause issues?

Thanks,

Anthony.
Oleg Chernavin 08/01/2006 02:22 pm
It is safe to remove .map or .mpx files. They are necessary for the following operations only:

Export
Delete Project or Project files
Backup
Cleanup (Options - File Locations)
Find Contents
Print
Data Mining

Oleg.