CRC checks on downloads

Pablo 01/23/2006 07:40 am
Hello. I`ve seen that in the URL specification box, it is possible to add a "Additional = CountCRC" feature. Questions:

- Is it good to avoid downloading URLs already downloaded? (I am using the "check size" feature)
- Is it safe to enable CRC ? (I mean: it will not make OE not to download some URLs)
- Any drawbacks on enabling it ?

Thank you,
Pablo.
Oleg Chernavin 01/23/2006 07:48 am
This was added to overcome situations when a server doesn`t support file modification checks and doesn`t output file size. The biggest drawback of this approach is that Offline Explorer will download the file completely and only after that it will make the comparison check.

The only purpose to use this is when you need to keep files on you hard disk intact if they were not modified. But this will not speed up the download nor reduce your traffic.

Best regards,
Oleg Chernavin
MP Staff
Pablo 01/23/2006 11:47 am
Thank you, now I understood how CRC works.

I have a new question: I have a site whose initial URL is changing everyday by adding the date to the main URL (www.losandes.com.ar). When starting the download, OE informs that the page has been moved, and asks if I want to download it from the new address. I allways want to answer YES to this question. How can I do it for automated downloads ? Can I set any special additional= parameter to answer YES allways for this question ?

Thank you very much,
Pablo

> This was added to overcome situations when a server doesn`t support file modification checks and doesn`t output file size. The biggest drawback of this approach is that Offline Explorer will download the file completely and only after that it will make the comparison check.
> > The only purpose to use this is when you need to keep files on you hard disk intact if they were not modified. But this will not speed up the download nor reduce your traffic.
> > Best regards,
> Oleg Chernavin
> MP Staff
Oleg Chernavin 01/24/2006 04:38 am
You can easily change the Project settings to allow downloading the file. This message occurs only when the redirection of the starting URL happens and the Project settings do not allow the new URL to be loaded.

Oleg.