Understanding the files

Pablo 01/13/2006 09:19 am
Hello. I`m starting to use OE, and I think it is absolutely a great software. I`m trying to better understand the meaning of the files generated during a download, because I have to index them for future searches. Here are the questions:

1) I have seen that in some sites (most probably on ASP sites), the downloaded site is full of files with some weird names, and with no extension. Looking into these files, it seems that it is full HTML code.
- Which kind of sites download in these way? ASP and PHP only?
- Are these files standard HTML ?
- Is it possible to generate these files with .htm extension ?

2) Also I have seen that on some other sites (pure HTML), the downloaded site is in .html files -that`s fine-, but I see also other files with the same name, and the date-time between parenthesis, and no extension.
- Are these files the "previous content" files that have been changed ?
- Is it possible to generate these files with .htm extension ?

Sorry for the long post, but I have to understand this !
Thank you !
Pablo.
Oleg Chernavin 01/16/2006 11:13 am
ASP and PHP (and many other sites) have scripts that are executed on the server and which is never visible to the browser. So, when you load the page, it is pure HTML. To add an .htm extension, you can export it (File | Export) with the Standard Extensions box checked.

Best regards,
Oleg Chernavin
MP Staff
Pablo 01/16/2006 03:17 pm
Thank you for your answer.
I understand your explanation, but I would like to know if I can store those files with .htm extension, because I am automatically indexing the downloaded files (i.e.: no human intervention), and the indexer indexes only .html files.

I also would like to know if the filenames with the date-time between parenthesis mean that these files the "previous content" files that have been changed.

Thanks.

> ASP and PHP (and many other sites) have scripts that are executed on the server and which is never visible to the browser. So, when you load the page, it is pure HTML. To add an .htm extension, you can export it (File | Export) with the Standard Extensions box checked.
> > Best regards,
> Oleg Chernavin
> MP Staff
Oleg Chernavin 01/16/2006 03:21 pm
Can you please let me know few examples of the names of the files with date-time? Unfortunately, Offline Explorer cannot assign .htm extensions to downloaded files. You have to export downloaded site to add them.

Oleg.
Pablo 01/16/2006 03:52 pm
The files with date-time are like in this example:

default.htm
default.htm(200512121214)
default.htm(200512130242)
default.htm(200512131543)
default.htm(200512151855)
default.htm(200512160145)
default.htm(200512261124)
default.htm(200512271840)

Pablo.

> Can you please let me know few examples of the names of the files with date-time? Unfortunately, Offline Explorer cannot assign .htm extensions to downloaded files. You have to export downloaded site to add them.
> > Oleg.
Oleg Chernavin 01/17/2006 04:17 am
Yes, it is file copies. When Offline Explorer loads a new file default.htm, it renames previous default.htm by adding the date-time and then saves the new default.htm file.

Oleg.
Rafael 02/19/2006 05:29 pm
Hi, Oleg. I haven`t worked ever with html, asp nor php files; only I know program in C and Visual Basic. But I would like to know how create scripts that can be run on Internet, from the browser. Could you, plesae, tell me what tools I need to do that? or refer me to an introductory site where I can find information.
sincerely,
Rafael
Oleg Chernavin 02/20/2006 06:13 am
What about msdn.microsoft.com ?

Oleg.