OE Ent. 3.9.2124 SR2 - Possible Bugs?? -

Peter Woods 11/08/2005 07:39 am
Hello Metaproducts Dev Team,

I`ve recently switched from 1Mbit line to 6Mbit line and am facing following problems with OE Ent.

Here are my OE Speed settings:

High : Unlimited Download Speed
Medium: limited to 450000 bytes/sec
Low: limited to 250000 bytes/sec
Background: limited to 100000 bytes/sec

1. Bandwidth Problem:

a) OE takes the whole bandwidth available and wont let any other internet programm to go in internet. I even cant use intenet explorer/firefox to get www.google.com open when a Project is running at High speed. But its not only limited to High Speed. I have tried using other speed options. At medium speed some, times after a long time, IE says the page cannot be displayed and even at the backgroung speed (100000 bytes/sec) google takes 7 to 10 seconds to load in internet explorer/firefox.

b) OE internal bandwidth problem: When ever I want to download a site which has pics and movie clips on it I run two projects simultaneously. One for only to download pics and other for the movie clips.

Here are the project settings:

Total Connections: 12

Project A: download pics, connection limit: 10 connections
Project B: download movie clips, connection limit: 2 connections

At High, Medium and Low speed settings (please see my speed settings above) Project B wont let Project A download any pictures from the same site. Only at Background speed setting which i set to 100000 bytes/sec it allows Project A to use 2 - 4 connections out of 10 to download the pics.

I have also noticed that when I download from two different sites simultaneously, it gives priority to the site which has bigger files on it regardless of connection limits. And as long as the project with bigger file runs the other project cant go any further.

2: Problem with mask selection in Queue.

The "Select by Mask" option in queue window does not works any more. Whenever I type in the mask and hit/press Ok, happends nothing. I can select different URLs while holding Ctrl or Shift key down though.

I hope you will find a solution and fix these problems in the coming versions.
Oleg Chernavin 11/08/2005 07:44 am
I would suggest you to set 1 second delay between downloads - this will be more effective than Speed settings. Actually Speed is not a native solution, because Internet cannot limit the download speed - you can delay receiving data, but this may have side effects sometimes. So, delay between downloads will allow other programs to download files better and also improve parallel download of several projects.

Regarding the second - I just tested version 4.0 and it works well.

Best regards,
Oleg Chernavin
MP Staff
Peter Woods 11/08/2005 09:50 am
Thanx for your reply.

<<< I would suggest you to set 1 second delay between downloads >>>

I added a delay as you told but it does not help. When ever OE start downloading a big file, it effects other internet programs.

<<< Actually Speed is not a native solution, because Internet cannot limit the download speed - you can delay receiving data, but this may have side effects sometimes. So, delay between downloads will allow other programs to download files better and also improve parallel download of several projects.>>>

Please correct me if I am wrong, but if I have a 6 Mbit line and I tell OE to use only 5 Mbit in speed settings, should I not be able to use the rest 1 Mbit to surf and download other things from internet?

May be I did not explain my self clearly in my last post. The problem is to get other internet programms working normaly, either I have to stop OE or limit its speed to 1 Mbit. I give it higher then that and it starts effecting other programms. I remember old versions of FlashGet (also known as Flash Car) had the same problem with bandwidth managemnet but since version 1.60a is out it also gives other programs the bandwidth they need.

> Regarding the second - I just tested version 4.0 and it works well. <

You mean the beta 1 right? Are there any limitations or restriction in beta version?

regards
Oleg Chernavin 11/08/2005 10:22 am
OK. I will need to look for other ways to limit the bandwidth usage.

Beta 1 has only one limit - it will stop on December 1st. But we should release Beta 2 this week and the final release is planned for the end of November.

Oleg.