Saving a downloaded OE project

kevork kevorkian 09/18/2004 08:14 am
As I`m planning to format my hard drive, is it possible to safe an existing downloaded project, so when I install OE again to reimport it there?
kevork kevorkian 09/18/2004 08:49 am
> As I`m planning to format my hard drive, is it possible to safe an existing downloaded project, so when I install OE again to reimport it there?
Are the *.boe files compatible with the previous OE versions?
Oleg Chernavin 09/19/2004 03:01 am
Yes, you can backup your Projects and these .boe files are compatible.

However I would suggest you an easier way - backup all of the files in the "Projects, Maps and Templates" directory (especially the webdown.dat file and all *.map files) and then all files in your download directories.

You can find the above locations in the Options dialog | File Locations section. Also, you might have some of your folders setup to have their own download directories.

Best regards,
Oleg Chernavin
MP Staff
kevork kevorkian 09/21/2004 03:23 pm
> Yes, you can backup your Projects and these .boe files are compatible.
>
> However I would suggest you an easier way - backup all of the files in the "Projects, Maps and Templates" directory (especially the webdown.dat file and all *.map files) and then all files in your download directories.
>
> You can find the above locations in the Options dialog | File Locations section. Also, you might have some of your folders setup to have their own download directories.
>
> Best regards,
> Oleg Chernavin
> MP Staff

Thank you, Oleg!
Do I have to save these files manually, eg *.mpx, *.dat, Template.bk1, etc.?
I have a CD-R copy of the OfflineExplorer folder of a previous version that contains those kinds of files. If I copy an old mpx file to my current directory, nothing hapens. If I change the path to the map files and projects to the CD-R folder, OE displays only the "backed up" projects. So is it possible to "import" these old projects to my newly installed OE?
Oleg Chernavin 09/22/2004 04:38 am
> Do I have to save these files manually, eg *.mpx, *.dat, Template.bk1, etc.?

Just save the whole folder with these files.

Regarding how to join files - use the Tools | Backup feature instead.

Oleg.
kevork kevorkian 09/22/2004 10:40 am
> Regarding how to join files - use the Tools | Backup feature instead.
>
> Oleg.
I couldn`t quite follow that. Does the backup/ restore feature works with files other than *.boe? If for example I try to restore an *.mpx the program freezes and nothing happens. Anyway, it is a minor problem. Now that I discovered the boe files, I think I don`t need to copy the whole folder as I did before.
I have another question however, which I think does not deserve a separate thread: On the export menu settings there is an option "preserve online links". The problem is that the links are always relative and that`s why it`s impossible to follow any of them that point to undownloaded documents.
Oleg Chernavin 09/23/2004 04:58 am
Yes, backup works only with .boe files. .mpx files do not contain any Project information - they simply list filenames that belong to the Project.

Regarding the Export - you need to download the site using "Online Links Translation" to do that.

Oleg.
Jeff Davis 03/07/2006 10:00 pm
For the record, I did this major league screw up BEFORE I found this thread.

I hope I didn`t screw up too bad, I just reformated and all I kept was the entire download folder and the entire OEE folder. I had a second hard drive installed and transfered those two folders to the new HD, formated the old HD, and installed XP Pro. Now when I fire up OEE it comes up blank. I just assumed that the map/project files would be in the OEE folder. Am I screwed? I have all the downloads but it may take me awhile to get all the `homepages` straightened out.

Thanks,
Jeff
Oleg Chernavin 03/09/2006 11:53 am
Well, the most important file is webdown.dat. Please try to find it - if you had transferred or backed it up. It contains all folders and Projects in Offline Explorer.

Oleg.