What is the actual proceedure to "Resume" interrupted downloads?

leeuniverse 07/20/2004 11:28 pm
When downloading a site, and you have to Stop the site download or it gets interrupted from a Power blackout or something, what is the actual proceedure of "Resuming"?
It`s not very clear the words used in OEE.

I can`t tell the setting which will "redownload" or "resume" pages that weren`t Completely downloaded and continue downloading the left what wasn`t done.

The Download button is also a little different than the Download settings in Properties, so I`m all confused.
I`m skilled with Download managers, but I`m at a loss.
I`ve guessed that "Do not download exhisting files" is a type of resumer of the Project, but it`s not clear to me wether it fixes incomplete downloads.
I was wondering though if I have to download the site useing that setting, and then download it using the "Download only Modified and New files" setting with the file size checked so as to redownload the incomplete files only???

It`s just I`m wanting to download this HUGE site http://www.low-carb-recipes.ws/ so I need to be sure how it works. OEE really should be more "intuative" than this.

By the way, upon some tests of downloading this site, because it`s so HUGE, OEE seem to have a 100% CPU usage issue even if I use Two downloads at a time.
So I`m having some issues here with being able to do anything else while downloading.
I didn`t notice this problem when I was testing the other large site we were talking together with (p.s. check the thread some more questions).
There is one difference between the two. This site above has a LOT more files that it is downloading, while the other site tends to have "larger" sized files, but I didn`t have the 100% CPU issue with it "yet" anyway.

What think ye...? :)
Oleg Chernavin 07/21/2004 06:21 am
I am sorry that it is not very clear. I think, you can easily use the "Do not load existing files" option. The "Download missing files" under the Download button does exactly the same, but it is faster to access. The process will allow you to resume downloading the site easily.

The reason for the high CPU load is that Offline Explorer has to process these smaller files all the time, since they load faster than Offline Explorer processes them. To decrease CPU load, I would suggest you to set 1 second delay between downloads in the Options dialog.

Best regards,
Oleg Chernavin
MP Staff
leeuniverse 07/21/2004 01:37 pm
> I am sorry that it is not very clear. I think, you can easily use the "Do not load existing files" option. The "Download missing files" under the Download button does exactly the same, but it is faster to access. The process will allow you to resume downloading the site easily.

Thank you.... :) So, those options will "resume" pages that didn`t Complete (fully download) as well? Or will they just download pages that weren`t at all downloaded?
Hee hee, that`s why it`s so confusing, the words used makes it sound like only files that weren`t at all downloaded will be download, and no "resuming" of the files that didn`t completely download.

> The reason for the high CPU load is that Offline Explorer has to process these smaller files all the time, since they load faster than Offline Explorer processes them. To decrease CPU load, I would suggest you to set 1 second delay between downloads in the Options dialog.
>

Thank you..... I will try this. :)
Oleg Chernavin 07/22/2004 06:44 am
There are no incomplete files or pages at all. Offline Explorer loads all files to a temp directory. Only after a file is completely downloaded, it is being moved to the final location.

Oleg.
leeuniverse 07/22/2004 02:39 pm
> There are no incomplete files or pages at all. Offline Explorer loads all files to a temp directory. Only after a file is completely downloaded, it is being moved to the final location.
>
> Oleg.

Great..... :) That`s what I wanted to know. Your the man!
Oleg Chernavin 07/22/2004 04:48 pm
I am glad that it helps!

Oleg.