Moving The Whole Download Directory to another computer

Quicksilver 02/16/2004 04:03 pm
Hello,
I`ve been using OEE 3.0 and MD 2.6SR1 Trial for about a week now. I`m very impressed with the results except for one problem that I have posted.
I was wondering if I could shift all my projects and my project directory (which is already about 1 GB) to another machine? Backup/Restore is slow on my laptop as it is an old PII-266 machine. Can I transfer the entire download directory without using Backup/Restore on individual projects?
Oleg Chernavin 02/17/2004 04:53 am
Yes, it is possible - just copy the entire Download directory with all webdown.* and *.map files to another computer.

Best regards,
Oleg Chernavin
MP Staff
Quicksilver 02/17/2004 08:53 am
> Yes, it is possible - just copy the entire Download directory with all webdown.* and *.map files to another computer.
How do I browse these projects from OE after I`ve shifted them? Should I just recreate the project settings and that will do the job? Will I be able to update/download missing files etc. after this operation?
Oleg Chernavin 02/17/2004 02:21 pm
All Projects are in the webdown.dat file. You would need to copy all *.map files which contain list of files loaded by a Project.

Webdown.dat and *.map files should be placed on another computer to the directory specified in the Options dialog | File Locations section - "Projects, Maps and Templates directory".

Oleg.
Quicksilver 02/18/2004 04:06 pm
A final question...
Does the location of the downloaded files on the destination machine have to exactly the same as the source machine, or do the *.mpx and webdown files store paths relative to the Default Download directory as specified in the options of OEE?
I have already changed the default option ("c:\download") to "d:\Offline Explorer Download" on the source machine and all the projects are stored there. So can I store the files to something like "e:\OE Download" and specify that as the default download directory on the destination machine?
Thanks again.
Oleg Chernavin 02/19/2004 07:11 am
It is better to have the same folder, because Map files store the absolute path to the downloaded files. Projects do not keep the path - they are using the Options or Folder Properties settings.

Oleg.
Quicksilver 02/19/2004 01:09 pm
> It is better to have the same folder, because Map files store the absolute path to the downloaded >files. Projects do not keep the path - they are using the Options or Folder Properties settings.

Thanks, that helps a lot.

Suppose I create a new folder in OEE and set the download directory to some other location than the default download directory. Now, if a move a project already downloaded to this folder, will files get moved and the map files get updated? If this does happen, my problem can be solved in this way.
Oleg Chernavin 02/19/2004 01:54 pm
No, downloaded files do not get moved automatically to another folder. And map files will still point to the old directory. Sorry, we haven`t done this yet.

Oleg.
Quicksilver 02/19/2004 03:39 pm
> No, downloaded files do not get moved automatically to another folder. And map files will still >point to the old directory. Sorry, we haven`t done this yet.

I guess I`m just asking for the moon :-(

As a suggestion for future releases, you could add a tool to rebuild map files given a starting URL pointing to a file/directory on disk or a project. Then following the links from there, the map files could be rebuilt to include all files present on disk. This would make moving the files easy as well solve the problem of adding files downloaded by MD or added from any source.

I don`t know how difficult this is, but you already can parse files, so the only addition is to look for them on disk and updating the map file.
Oleg Chernavin 02/20/2004 03:46 am
This is already done - if you run the download using Ctrl-F5, OE adds all existing files to the Project Map.

Oleg.
Quicksilver 02/20/2004 11:10 am
> This is already done - if you run the download using Ctrl-F5, OE adds all existing files to the >Project Map.
Okay.
Suppose I move the files to a different directory, create a new project with the same settings but set the download directory to the new one and Run with Ctrl+F5. Now, will OE create a new map file and add all existing files to the map?
Oleg Chernavin 02/20/2004 03:28 pm
Yes, it will parse all existing files and recreate the Project Map.

Oleg.
d 06/19/2004 10:26 am
cheers guys, btw, good program
Oleg Chernavin 06/21/2004 04:24 am
Thank you!

Oleg.