Vanishing projects

Roddy MacKenzie 10/04/2003 05:30 am
All my projects and folders vanished, leaving me with just the defaults. The files all seem to be present (I keep a copy of the entire folder tree, and usually remember to update it after a session) Everything else seems to be working, including accessing files already downloaded.

Is there any simple way to recover this situation - I have well over 3000 projects spread across hunderds of folders, and really don`t want to have to re-enter their details manually (especially all the different sets of rules)

Roddy
Oleg Chernavin 10/06/2003 05:15 am
Roddy,

It is not a big problem to recover. Please search this forum (search form below) for two words:

lost projects

Then read the 3rd topic. The projects file (webdown.dat) is located in the place spacified in the Options dialog | Advanced | File Locations - "Projects, Maps and Templates directory".

Oleg.
Roddy MacKenzie 10/06/2003 09:28 am
Thanks Oleg

All I have to do now is re-instate the projects I set up since the last backup (I think there are only about 40 missing) Fortunately I backed up the entire current OEE tree before I started repairing the damage. This is what I *usually* do, but forgot just before the accident.

Can I do this by simply cutting and pasting between the webdown.dat files with a decent editor? (WinHex, for example)

Roddy
Oleg Chernavin 10/06/2003 10:01 am
Yes, you can easily paste the missing lines to webdown.dat file - it should work well.

Oleg.
Roddy MacKenzie 10/07/2003 04:50 pm
Thanks Oleg,

I have found that Notepad actually works best for this (The KISS principle works best, as with everything in the OE family)

*** Note to anyone following this route : as long as you skip over the header, Default folder and template, and you don`t have any top level folders with the same name as those in the WebDown.dat you are pasting to, everything works perfectly.

Rename any top duplicate level folders in the WebDown.dat file you are reading from
- look for
[Object]
Type=1
Text=Foldername

Skip these two lines
Stream 1.2 File
ObjectsCount=xxx

Skip the "Default" folder
[Object]
Type=1
Text=Default
(etc)

Skip the template
[Object]
Type=0
(etc)

... and start cutting at the next folder
[Object]
Type=1
Text=Foldername
...and keep going to the end of the file

Finally, paste the block into OEE`s project tree. *** WARNING - Do NOT paste it directly into the target WebDown.dat without correctly updating the second line (ObjectsCount=xxx) - OE/OEP/OEE will do this properly for you if you paste into the application

Roddy MacKenzie
Oleg Chernavin 10/08/2003 08:04 am
Roddy,

Thank you! I would only add that Notepad can edit not more than 64 Kbytes of text files. I use WordPad for bigger files - it works well also.

Oleg.
Jost Jahn 05/18/2008 06:18 pm
Hi,

I have had the same problem months ago using Windows 98 SE and could not replace any project.

Now after months surprise: I copied the complete folder to another computer with XP/SP2 and the registration vansihed. Thats ok. New registration using the old code and voila: all projects appears again.

This for Oleg to find the error at Win 98 system

Jost
Oleg Chernavin 05/21/2008 08:17 am
Jost,

Great to hear from you!

We decided to stop supporting Windows 9x. It is possible to run Offline Explorer 5.0 on it, but there are still some compatibility issues. Also, less and less Windows 9x systems are running in the world.

Oleg.