Real file name of download file

new_beta_user 03/29/2006 07:02 am
Trial testing out your software:

This url "http://serviceguide.att.com/ndcaict/nonvtns.cfm" contains a page with file links on it. When I download from this url it saves the downloaded files with the request string name.

Example: File link "http://serviceguide.att.com/ndcaict/view.cfm?cid=40307" of the file I want to download. Downloads the file from this link just fine but saves it as "view.cfm?cid=40307" which is not the name of the file.

If I right-click the link and select "Save Target As...", I get the actual real file name of the file which is "13439ext.doc". It seems like it can`t figure out what the file type is. Have any ideas? Thanks.
Oleg Chernavin 03/29/2006 07:02 am
Dear Sir,

Thank you for writing us. Yes, Offline Explorer doesn`t extract such filenames when downloading links. This is because a link to the file in HTML code still point to ...?cid=..., so renaming the file to other filename would mean a broken link when you browse the site offline.

However the actual MIME type of the file is preserved, so you should have no problem when viewing the file offline.

Best regards,
Oleg Chernavin
MetaProducts corp.
03/29/2006 07:02 am
I didn`t want to browse the site offline...only download files from the site but what you said makes perfect sense. Thanks for the timely response.

> Dear Sir,
>
> Thank you for writing us. Yes, Offline Explorer doesn`t extract such filenames when downloading links. This is because a link to the file in HTML code still point to ...?cid=..., so renaming the file to other filename would mean a broken link when you browse the site offline.
>
> However the actual MIME type of the file is preserved, so you should have no problem when viewing the file offline.
>
> Best regards,
> Oleg Chernavin
> MetaProducts corp.
You are welcome!

Oleg.
Ashwin Amladi 03/29/2006 07:02 am
Dear Sir,

Filenames contiaining `;`(semi-colon) should be saved with a %3b on the hard disk.

The reason? Such filenames are not burnt onto a CD by CD Burning programs which assume that it is a ISO version number? One gets a truncated filename such as http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh which can`t be browsed offline.

The solution? OEP should save these filenames to disk with a %3b in the filename.

Should I have posted this in the suggestion box?

I know for a fact that OEP names URLs containing `?` with a `@` symbol. I understand this is to overcome Windows limitation. Can you please list the complete substitutions? That is, what characters in URL filenames are substituted with what while writing to disk. It will be helpful to know the real URL at a later time by looking at the filenames on disk.

Thanks.

Ashwin
Thank you for letting me know. Can you please give me few real URL examples with ; symbols, so I could test the updated Offline Explorer on them?

Oleg.
Ashwin 03/29/2006 07:02 am
> you please give me few real URL examples with ; symbols

Dear Sir,

At the outset I would like to state that this is not a problem with OE per se. It`s more to do with the OS.

A url like
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q244826

is saved to the disk as
`default.aspx@scid=KB;en-us;q244826`

Windows allows the usage of `;` (colon) in filenames. Therefore we end up with a filename as above.

The problem occurs when one tries to burn such a file with colon in its name, onto a CD. The burning programs, I have tried many of them, spew out the following message:

\support.microsoft.com\default.aspx@scid=KB;en-us;q244826 - The system cannot find the file specified.

What might be happening would be either the ISO filesystem or the burning programs must be interpreting the `;` in the filename as the ISO file version extension.

Thus one ends up with a filename shortened to `default.aspx@scid=KB` As a result the downloaded project can`t be viewed offline.

As I have reiterated, this issue is not OE`s fault. It would be nice if OE could translate all links, for instance, to point to `default.aspx@scid=KB;en-us%3bq244826` and save such filenames to disk with a `%3b` in the filename in place of a `;`.

One possible solution is to do a search for files containing `;` in their names and doing a search and replace of `;` with `%3b`. Here too, we run into difficulties. A search for `*.*;*` matches all files. Windows seems to interpret the `;` as separation of different parameters. That is, a search for `default.aspx*;*` will search for files of type *.aspx and *.*!

If OE were to take over this task, it will be great.

Hoping that you would consider such a feature to be added in future versions.

Ashwin
There is a simple way to overcome the limitation. You can simply export the Project (File | Export) with standard extensions and Joliet (CD) - compatible filenames. This will prepare the downloaded site for CD burning and remove all compatibility problems.

Oleg.
Ashwin Amladi 03/29/2006 07:02 am
>> You can simply export the Project (File | Export) with standard extensions and Joliet (CD) - compatible filenames.

Dear Sir,

Sorry for the late follow-up.

Like you suggested I exported (using Joilet - CD-R 64 symbols) http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;823559 project.

OE renamed the file "default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;823559" to "default.aspx@scidkben-us823559.htm"

Suppose, I would like to update this project, I would have to download it again. As OE has RENAMED all the filenames.

This issue only arises while burning to a CD. If OE could rename `;` in files automatically one can save a lot of time. If I ever had to update this file I could have re-constructed the original filename.

What I mean is, a file named "default.aspx@scidkben-us823559.htm" on a CD doesn`t give me a clue as to it original name. I know OE translates `?` as `@`, but it is difficult to guess the original name/URl from "default.aspx@scidkben-us823559.htm"

It would be easy to guess the original file name from "default.aspx?scid=kb%3ben-us%3b823559". That it, if OE could replace `%3b` for semi-colon(`;`). This would also overcome the ISO restrictions.

NEW FEATURE SUGGESTION:
The above problem could be, to a certain extent, solved if OE, while exporting, can add the original URL to the page.

What I`m suggesting is something like a page pulled out from Google`s cache which has something like this at the top of every page:

>> Click here for the current page
>> without highlighting.
>> http://www.link_of_original_url.com/

Of course, not use the same terminology though!

Now, even with a file re-named as "default.aspx@scidkben-us823559.htm" one can always know the original URL.

Regards,

Ashwin
Well, renaming filenames on-the-fly would significantly change lots of Offline Explorer internals. Its purpose is to try to keep filenames almost as they are on the Web. Export converts filenames to the desired format.

Regarding the original file link on top - I am afraid that there will be pages where this would affect the original page layout and design. I will see how this could be overcome, anyway.

Oleg.
>
> Regarding the original file link on top - I am afraid that there will be pages where this would affect the original page layout and design. I will see how this could be overcome, anyway.
>
> Oleg.

Dear Sir,

While exporting, how about including, the original URL as a COMMENT? It would not spoil the page layout, and one can always view souce to find out the original URL.

Just a suggestion.

Regards,

Ashwin
OK. I will think about it. Thank you!

Oleg.
Hi Oleg,

Thank YOU!

For your speed replies, personal attention, .... I could go on!

Ashwin
I just added that feature. If you need the updated version now, please let me know (along with the edition name - Pro or Enterprise).

Thank you.

Oleg.