Software Prohibiting Offline Use

Michael 03/29/2006 07:02 am
Are you aware that there are now softwares that prevents html to view offline? Theres HTML Page Guardian and Html Protector that says when the web page uses their software it can "Prohibit offline use - your files will work fine when someone is browsing your site, but will not work if they are saved and run from a local harddrive."
Mikk 03/29/2006 07:02 am
this is not possible. (and as far as i know also not the purpose of these tools)

the only thing such programs can do (and are doing) is to encode/encrypt the source code with java. this is making stealing parts of the source code really hard, but this can not prevent downloading these sites. (everything that can be looked online can also be saved)

OE is quite good with general java scripts and updates with better support for complex java sites were promised aswell.
i had only one site i couldn?t download yet and this was one were all pathes where calculated with complex java, but i think OE will be able to handle these in the future aswell.

Mikk
Oleg Chernavin 03/29/2006 07:02 am
Yes, this is really possible. Right now an effective way to prohibit this is to check original site location in the Java script and if it doesn`t match, disable showing the page contents or redirect it to the online site. This can be eliminated by disabling such scripts. However there are already examples of simular protection made using Flash and Java applets. They are much harder to defeat.

Oleg.