Password authentication (401)

Ryan 03/29/2006 07:01 am
I am trying to download files from a password protected website. For each file that is password protected, the reponse is "401 Unauthorized". I have set my user/pass in the password options box, and tried all the options there as well, including prompt for info.

In IE6, when I click on the protected link, I get a standard "enter network password" dialog box, with a realm of "AuthentiX", also with an option to save this password in your password list. After entering the correct info, I get the normal open, save to disk dialog.

Other `web spider` programs have successfully downloaded these files, however they lacked OE`s extensive include / exclude ability.
Oleg Chernavin 03/29/2006 07:01 am
Dear Ryan,

Can you please tell me any link like that to test? I need no username/password.

Thank you.

Best regards,
Oleg Chernavin
MetaProducts corp.
> Can you please tell me any link like that to test? I need no username/password.

I didn`t post a link at first because it`s an adult website, also they `state` that you are not allowed to use mass downloading software. It seems that this is only a transfer limit over a certain period of time, and should be easy to stay below.

Here is a direct link to a password authentication screen.

http://www.mrdouble.com/palisade/htm/palisadeupdate.htm
I just tried to set the Project to "Prompt for user name..." in the Passwords section. It worked and I was asked for a password. Does the same happen on your computer? Or the problem is that Offline Explorer asked for a password, but didn`t load anything then?

Oleg.
> I just tried to set the Project to "Prompt for user name..." in the Passwords section. It worked and I was asked for a password. Does the same happen on your computer? Or the problem is that Offline Explorer asked for a password, but didn`t load anything then?
>
> Oleg.

Yes, it asked for a password, I gave it the log/pass, and it contiuned on, but after the last get it has status: 401 Unauthorized. I assume that every get command is returning this status, but I am unable to see, as the next command is executed.

As I said before, I tried the two other relevant options in the password setup screen too, with the same results. The username / password is correct, as it works fine in IE.

They used to have a test username / password to verify whether ones browser was setup properly for the authenication used, however I`ve looked for it and can`t find it.

Is there anything else you can do without a real login info? Can you tell how the authentication works just by the dialog box, and or the source of the web page?
Well, it is hard to test anything without the login info. Maybe you could send it to us directly - support@metaproducts.com ?

Oleg.
kiran 03/29/2006 07:01 am
chk at mrdouble.com

> Dear Ryan,
>
> Can you please tell me any link like that to test? I need no username/password.
>
> Thank you.
>
> Best regards,
> Oleg Chernavin
> MetaProducts corp.
You can start downloading the site using the following URL:

http://user:password@www.mrdouble.com/palisade/htm/login.htm

Change user and password with your own ones.

Oleg.