new feature suggestion

03/29/2006 07:01 am
hi!

i really like OE. i?ve switched now completely to it and there are only very few things which i am missing.

these two are my favourites:

1. the option to give an priority to html files (so that html files will be added on top of the queue)

2. in the map it would be nice if there would be the option have an selection wizard. for example "select *.zip" so that all zip-files in the map would be selected.

mark
Oleg Chernavin 03/29/2006 07:01 am
Mark,

Thank you for your suggestions!

Priority in the Queue is not easy to add, so we plan this kind of feature for 3.0 version. We also plan to add separate queues per Project for a truly simultaneous download, ability to sort files in the Queue, etc.

Regarding selecting ZIP files - you can sort Map entries by extension in 2.7 version. Simply go to the Options dialog, Additional section. This should help with most problems.

Best regards,
Oleg Chernavin
MetaProducts corp.
this sounds good.

about the selection wizard: my idea was to have it selecting a special filetype in the whole map (in all direcctories).
i have for example an project in which i have very much directories in which i have files i would like to select but OE can only select files of one directory at the same time.

mark
Do you mean to delete all ZIP files from the Project?

Oleg.
> Do you mean to delete all ZIP files from the Project?
>
> Oleg.

what i want to do is select all files of one type (in one project *.zip, and in another *.jpg) and add them to the "disabled URLs" field. then i could move them from my disc to burn them or delete or whatever.

till now i have to do this manually for every directory in the map which is very time consuming because there are more than 300 directories in the project.

the most importent part is the adding to the "disabled URLs" field. the moving or deleting of files i could do with other programs very easily (like WindowsCommander).

mark
I see. I will think on how it could be done.

Oleg.
> I see. I will think on how it could be done.
>
> Oleg.

thank you, i really appreciate it.

mark
Darkangel 03/29/2006 07:01 am
yes an option to select files in the whole map at once sounds great.
i have also projects in which its very frustrating to work through all the subdirectories manually. this feature would greatly speed up my working in the map.

do you have an idea on how fast you can program this option?
if it?s only some days i?ll stop my working in the map right now and would wait for the update to arrive to save me a lot of time and nerves.

btw: thank you very much for the new Disabled URLs option! this has greatly speeded up my updating time for some projects (in one it has gone from ~6hours down to 11 minutes!!!).

DaRkAnGel
Victor 03/29/2006 07:01 am
Hi everyone!
i?ve just read the thread here and i would also like to see this new feature.

i have also had some very confusing times in the map where this feature would have helped me a lot.

im not shure about the other?s but i would like to add an alternative which would make the same results but might be easier to implement by you (Oleg).
instead of an "selection wizard" an alternative could be to give an option which lists all files in the map without the directories.

so instead of an explorer like map this option would display an simple list of all filenames in the project.
if this list would be sortable by 1. extension, 2. file-name, 3. path (not shure if this would be necessary) you could select all the files you are interested in very fastly (simply with shift).

i think this should give the same possabilities as an selection wizard.
as i?m no programmer i don?t know which option would be easier to program but i thought it couldn?t harm if i post my idea here.

Victor

ps: happy new year everyone!
Mark 03/29/2006 07:01 am
yes i think this option would work also.

i think both ways could do the same thing so Oleg should implement whatever is easier to do so.

mark
as long as this feature is not available:
is there a way to export all urls from a project into an text-file ?

i want to create an textfile in which all mpeg?s of an project are listed. but not with the path on my disk but the real URLs from where they were downloaded.
Thank you for all these comments and ideas. I will make the feature this way. It will be a separate dialog with ability to enter a mask to select some or all URLs in the Map. You will be able to delete these Map entries or drag them to the Disabled URLs area. I will also add an item to copy the list of selected URLs to clipboard.

If the above is fine, I will start implementing it.

Oleg.
> Thank you for all these comments and ideas. I will make the feature this way. It will be a separate dialog with ability to enter a mask to select some or all URLs in the Map. You will be able to delete these Map entries or drag them to the Disabled URLs area. I will also add an item to copy the list of selected URLs to clipboard.
>
> If the above is fine, I will start implementing it.
>
> Oleg.
This sounds great!
It includes everything i was hoping for :-).

i?m really looking forward to this.
thank you,
DaRkAnGel
> It will be a separate dialog with ability to enter a mask to select some or all URLs in the Map. You will be able to delete these Map entries or drag them to the Disabled URLs area. I will also add an item to copy the list of selected URLs to clipboard.

this looks fine for me too.

just another idea:
is it possible to enhance the map so that all files from all projects which are selected are shown?
at the moment this is not possible but it would be an nice addition. (perhaps problematic with the disabled url?s field).
but this is not so important, was just an idea.

if the map selection feature is coming i?ll be happy enough :-)

thanks,
Mark
Yes, Map from several Projects is quite complex thing, so I will work on the Selection window.

I plan to work on it this Friday.

Oleg.
mark 03/29/2006 07:01 am
Friday sounds great !

if you need an beta tester for this i would like to help out :-)

mark
Hi!
just wanted to ask if there something new to report about this?

thanks in advance,
Mark
DaRkAnGel 03/29/2006 07:01 am
just wanted to ask if there is already an update available?

thanks,
DaRkAnGel
Yes, I just finished adding that feature. Here are update links:

Offline Explorer Pro:

http://www.metaproducts.com/download/betas/oep1098.zip

Offline Explorer Enterprise:

http://www.metaproducts.com/download/betas/oee1098.zip

Please test it and let me know how it works. If everything goes well, I will release the new version early next week.

Thank you!

Oleg.
DaRkAnGel 03/29/2006 07:01 am
Great!!!

i just downloaded it and tried an bigger selection for testing only.
i selected >20000 files and it was working correctly. (moving them to url-filters was working also fine)

an small bug i noticed:
while OEE was searching for the files i wanted to switch to other windows and do something else but the selection window was staying on top of the desktop so that i had to drag it offscreen so i could do other work. but beside this it looks fine to me.

thanks,
DaRkAnGel
hi i have also just tried it and it looks fine to me too.

however i have also discovered an small bug:
when i say select *.jpg OEE selects not only .jpg?s but also every file which has .jpg somewhere in its name included. for example this here:

view.php3?id=darkdog06.jpg&gal=122&pg=0&count=5
this file?s shouldn?t be selected with *.jpg but with *.php3 instead.

perhaps this can be changed?

Mark
sorry my fault.
i was using *.jp* so it was working correct.

mark
this time i?ve found an bug:
when the directory overload protection is enabled the url?s are wrongly added to the disabled url-tab.
instead of: server.com/directory/file.ext
this is added: server.com/directory/%&Ovr0/file.ext

also i have noticed that files are duplicated downloaded when directory overload protection is enabled. (but not related to the new update, noticed this already before)
sometimes it looks like OEE is downloading files again because it isn?t finding them inside the /%&Ovr0 (and following) folders.
Thank you! I fixed both of these issues.

Oleg.
fine!
will the update be available soon?

Mark
Yes, I plan to publish 2.7 Service Release 1 version today.

Oleg.