Disk space problem

bluesky 03/29/2006 07:01 am
Hello,
I`m evaluating your program.
It`s really great, but recently I faced some problems related with free disk space.

On my system, Windows 98 SE is installed in drive C and Windows XP in drive D.
Usually I use your program on XP.

The problem I found is that
When free disk space in D drive is about 900 Mega bytes(it`s alreadly scandisked, so no error in reporting free disk space), and I try to download a movie about 700 Mega size onto drive D, the offline explore starts to download the file and I check that downloading process is going on properly.(I check this several times, download speed, the amount of file recieved already, the disk space remained, etc). Finally, the program says file downloading is completed successfully, but I can`t find any file and I find out no file is downloaded at all.
The file is completely gone. @.@

While downloading is in progress, I check several times that the free disk space in drive D diminishes accordingly (i,e 900 Mega before downloading => 400 Mega when more than 60% is completed).
But when the job is finished, nothing has been changed. In drive D free disk space is still about 900 Mega.

I repeat this again and again with no success.
So, I try to downloade the file onto C drive in which about 800 Mega bytes is free.
The result is the same. It seems downloading process is quite normal until it is completely finished.
But it finishes with nothing changed at all. (no file downloaded, no disk space change)

This time, I try with other downloader program and suceed at the first try.
I get the file properly, of course with disk space change in drive D.(now about 200 Mega free space.)

I tried with your Mass Downloader with the same result.
I see Offline explore and Mass Downloader work fine when free disk space is over
1Giga bytes on my drive.

I don`t know why this happens.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Oleg Chernavin 03/29/2006 07:01 am
Thank you for writing about this. The problem is simple here - Offline Explorer downloads a file to the Windows Temporary directory, which is in your Windows installation directory by default. Once it is loaded, it is copied to the destination directory and only then it is being removed from the original.

I just made an improvement here and now the file will be moved, not copied when possible. This should make downloading huge files better.

If you need the update now, please let me know.

Best regards,
Oleg Chernavin
MetaProducts corp.