Bug in nadim.sys

Roee 05/04/2004 12:37 am
Hello!

I`ve suffered from the CPU going to 100% usage after downloading some data from the internet.
The process was "System" (PID 8), the kernel process. After much investigation, the problematic driver was nadim.sys. After removing your software, the problem went away.

It`s Win2000 SP4, cable modem (both USB and network card), P933 cpu.
The software version is 2.0.0.223 beta 1.
Alexander 05/04/2004 02:57 am
Dear Roee,

Thank you for writing us.
We will check this problem thoroughly and fix it.

Best regards,
Alexander Bednyakov
MP Staff
Frank 02/27/2005 09:43 am
Hi!
I have this problem too... I tested NAD on notebook HP compaq nx9105 with Sempron 2800+ and OS WIN XP HOME SP 2...
Alexander 02/28/2005 05:21 am
Frank,

Do you have any firewall installed? Outpost Pro, ZoneAlarm, etc?

Thank you,
Alexander
WingGundamZeroCustom.co.th 03/11/2005 10:22 pm
I Have a problem too.
Sure I don`t have any firewall installed and don`t have XP firewall enabled.

My Computer is P4 2.8E,512 MB,Windows XP Pro SP2 with NAD Version 2.2 Build 272
Because of this problem so I have to uninstall your software althrough I don`t want to.
Alexander 03/14/2005 03:21 am
Thank you for your details.

Sincerely,
Alexander
Alexander 04/29/2005 05:15 am
Could you please test the new version of NAD?
We plan to release this version soon:
http://www.metaproducts.com/download/nadsetup23.exe
Please write us about the result. Thank you.

Best regards,
Alexander Bednyakov
MP Staff
St.Hidden 10/19/2005 02:26 am
During transmitting a big file trough lan, i have BSOD. After analyzing "mini-dump" file, "Windows crush analyzer" show that the file "nadim.sys" is the reason of BSOD.

My System: WinXP SP2, ICS is off, Outpost is installed and turned on "Learn Mode"
My comp: P4 C800-E delux/PVI 3GHz/ram 1Gb Dual/HDD 250Gb NTFS/...

I can`t attach bug report file, but I can send it by mail.
Alexander 10/19/2005 03:53 pm
St.Hidden,

Yes, please zip this report and send it to support@metaproducts.com with a short description of the problem.

Thank you for your help!

Sincerely,
Alexander.
| Alexander Bednyakov
| MetaProducts Corporation
Rodolfo 06/02/2006 02:05 pm
Hello!
I'm using NAD long time ago, and 2 weeks ago I download the latest trial version to see how it works and the new improvements.
Today, my computer crashes (blue background full of letters and numbers) and I write the name of the file that causes this crash: nadim.sys.
Googling to see what kind of file it is, I arrive here.
I will uninstall this program until a new version is released.
Mi computer: Pentium 4 2,8 Mhz- 512Mb RAM - 120 Gb HD - WinXP SP2
Thanks
Stoob 06/05/2006 03:38 am
I just tried it again too but the MD5 of the download is the same as it was a while back. I have blue-screen problems as well. If i have NAD v2 enabled it is sure to lock up when there is lots of network activity going on. When i switch back to NAD v1.1 I have no problems at all.
Alexander 06/05/2006 04:49 am

Please switch NAD 2.3 to the Standard statistics engine for awhile (NAD Settings dialog, Statistics tab, Statistic engine parameter.)
Please write us about the result. Thank you.

Best regards,
Alexander Bednyakov
MP Staff

stoob 06/05/2006 12:58 pm
Ya standard mode has always worked fine. I assume standard mode is the same engine as NAD v1.1? I really wanted to use the smart filtering system because of the ability to exclude local subnet traffic, and also create diagrams based on port traffic, etc, but I realize this is not as simple as polling the performance variables and requires something at the driver level such as nadim.sys. It would also be nice if future versions could monitor entire processes not just networking rules, similar to how Kerio (Sunbelt) personal firewall works and also NetLimiter. Whatever the problem is, it appears to be halting the connection when too much data goes through it, and then blue screens or worse a hard reboot with no bsod. Does nadim.sys require network data to actually pass through it first before continuing on down the chain, or is it just reading from somewhere else? Thanks. Really is a great program. I would definately purchase it if this worked. :)
06/06/2006 02:30 am
Stoob,

> Ya standard mode has always worked fine. I assume standard mode is the same
> engine as NAD v1.1?

Yes.

> I really wanted to use the smart filtering system because of the ability to exclude
> local subnet traffic, and also create diagrams based on port traffic, etc, but I realize
> this is not as simple as polling the performance variables and requires something at
> the driver level such as nadim.sys. It would also be nice if future versions could
> monitor entire processes not just networking rules, similar to how Kerio (Sunbelt)
> personal firewall works and also NetLimiter.

Thank you! We will take a look at these applications.

> Whatever the problem is, it appears to be halting the connection when too much data
> goes through it, and then blue screens or worse a hard reboot with no bsod. Does
> nadim.sys require network data to actually pass through it first before continuing on
> down the chain, or is it just reading from somewhere else?

It uses the NDIS custom filter ability. So, network data pass through it.
Could you please test the latest build of NAD? You can download it from:
http://www.metaproducts.com/download/betas/nadsetup.exe
Please write me about the result. Thank you.

Regards,
Alexander