various problems

Marco De Vitis 03/29/2006 07:00 am
Hi, I was searching for a network traffic systray monitor and stumbled into your nice NAD, which fits my needs. Unfortunately, I think I encountered a couple of bugs:

1) I can`t succeed in having a systray icon which shows traffic only in ONE direction (ingoing or outgoing). I`d like to have one icon for download, and another one for upload (as I have an asymmetrical connection, I`d like to use different scales for the graphs) but, even though I deactivate the "Received bytes" and "Sent bytes" checkboxes, both traffic graphs keep showing in both icons.
For the "upload" icon, I can work around it by assignind the outgoing traffic the same color as the background, but this can`t be applied to the "download" icon, because outgoing traffic is always in the foreground and so it always appears in front of the ingoing traffic.

2) the "scaling" parameter in Diagram properties seems to be broken. It should be kilobits, so if I set it to 128 kbits then the maximum height in the graph should be reached when I transfer files at 16 kbytes/s (16*8=128). But this does not happen. Instead, while transferring files at 16 kbytes/s, the maximum height is reached if "scaling" is set to 32 kbits... This doesn`t make much sense, is NAD measuring speed as "half-bytes", by chance? 8)

3) the outgoing traffic does not show at all if I choose my network card as a parameter. I`m forced to choose "Total bytes".

I`ve read you are going to publish a shareware version, but I hope you can fix these problems in the freeware version first.
I`m available to help if you need further information.

BTW, I`m using NAD 1.1.90 SR1 on WinXP Pro.

Kind regards.
Alexander 03/29/2006 07:00 am
Dear Marco De Vitis,

Thank you for writing us.

> Hi, I was searching for a network traffic systray monitor and stumbled into your nice NAD, which fits my needs. Unfortunately, I think I encountered a couple of bugs:
>
> 1) I can`t succeed in having a systray icon which shows traffic only in ONE direction (ingoing or outgoing). I`d like to have one icon for download, and another one for upload (as I have an asymmetrical connection, I`d like to use different scales for the graphs) but, even though I deactivate the "Received bytes" and "Sent bytes" checkboxes, both traffic graphs keep showing in both icons.
> For the "upload" icon, I can work around it by assignind the outgoing traffic the same color as the background, but this can`t be applied to the "download" icon, because outgoing traffic is always in the foreground and so it always appears in front of the ingoing traffic.

Thank you for your report. We plan to fix this problem in the next release of NAD.

> 2) the "scaling" parameter in Diagram properties seems to be broken. It should be kilobits, so if I set it to 128 kbits then the maximum height in the graph should be reached when I transfer files at 16 kbytes/s (16*8=128). But this does not happen. Instead, while transferring files at 16 kbytes/s, the maximum height is reached if "scaling" is set to 32 kbits... This doesn`t make much sense, is NAD measuring speed as "half-bytes", by chance? 8)

NAD counts all traffic, including the service bytes. Windows reports to NAD the raw data, without difference between the real downloaded/uploaded data and the service data.

> 3) the outgoing traffic does not show at all if I choose my network card as a parameter. I`m forced to choose "Total bytes".

Thank you, we will check this and fix this problem (if any) in the next version of NAD.

> I`ve read you are going to publish a shareware version, but I hope you can fix these problems in the freeware version first.
> I`m available to help if you need further information.

Thank you!

Sincerely,
Alexander.
| Alexander Bednyakov
| Senior Developer
| MetaProducts Corporation
Mark Salvati 03/29/2006 07:00 am
I experienced this same problem (diagrams for individual interfaces did not show traffic). It works now but I`m not positive which thing that I did fixed it. I don`t want to break it again to find out, but basically here`s what I did to make it work: I disabled my ethernet interface, closed NAD, re-enabled it, opened NAD again, played with some parameters, (most notedly the scaling, although I`m using auto on one interface and manual on the other).

Hope this helps!
-Mark

> 3) the outgoing traffic does not show at all if I choose my network card as a parameter. I`m forced to choose "Total bytes".