Iqcache usage

Ron Horn 11/12/2005 10:44 am
Regarding the IQCACHE, what is it used for? Can it be turned off? It looks like every page I browse has it`s images stored there, regardless if I elect to save the page or not. Presumably this makes the save quicker should I elect to save a page. But on average, I browse MANY more pages than I save. So I`d be willing to put up with a longer `save` time (should I elect to save a page in Inquiry) in order to gain some performance by avoiding filling the cache with images I`ll never save.

With the IE cache, this means I`m saving every image displayed on a web page twice.

Oleg Chernavin 11/12/2005 11:08 am
IQCache is necessary for Inquiry to properly save pages. When you browse in MS IE, not every file gets to MS IE Cache. Some files get there in a modified form. IQ Cache helps here a lot, because all files are as they were downloaded and there are all files that you browse. This lets Inquiry to be very fast when you save.

Best regards,
Oleg Chernavin
MP Staff
Ron Horn 11/12/2005 11:55 am
Personally, I`d be willing to wait longer to save a page and not accumulate 10,000 tiny files on my C: drive. Granted, Inquiry is very fast (and now I know why) at saving web pages, making it seem effortless. But like I said, I browse many more pages than I save, so it seems very waseful to store all those pages on my C: drive.

If the cache can`t be turned off, an option to limit it`s size (like IE) would be helpful. I`d still have to sacrifice browsing performance for the occasional Inquiry save, but at least the cache wouldn`t grow out of control.
Oleg Chernavin 11/12/2005 12:08 pm
OK. We will see if it is possible to turn off the cache. It might be very complex, because IQ was designed this way.

Oleg.
Ron Horn 11/12/2005 06:04 pm
I expected that may be the case. If the cache is too integral to the overall functionality then it may not be feasible to disable, considering the amount of code that would have to change.

But, from purely a simplistic viewpoint, the design to cache EVERY page viewed in case it needed saving seems to be overkill.

Even if it`s 1.5 or 2.x, I hope there`s a way.

If not, perhaps an option to empty the cache when Inquiry is shutdown. After a reboot, the files remaining in the cache would not be of any use, would they?

Oleg Chernavin 11/14/2005 07:01 am
Inquiry cleans the cache for every MS IE instance when you quit it.

Oleg.
Ron Horn 11/14/2005 08:09 am
So when I close an instance of IE, Inquiry cleans the cache for that instance?

If so, then that may explain why my cache grew so big. I have to `kill` IE about 2-3 times a week.
Oleg Chernavin 11/14/2005 08:14 am
Perhaps, it happens because the abnormal termination of MS IE. We will work to workaround this.

Oleg.