iqcache location

Ron Horn 11/10/2005 11:11 pm
Is there a way to specify where this cache is stored? After running Inquiry for nearly a year, there were thousands of files in there.

Also, Norton occasionally reports viruses in the files stored there.

Source: C:\Documents and Settings\Ron\Local Settings\Application Data\MetaProducts\Inquiry\iqcache\5228\b\r\broadband.motorola.com\E38EF56440F4560
Click for more information about this threat : Bloodhound.HybridCOM

Source: C:\Documents and Settings\Ron\Local Settings\Application Data\MetaProducts\Inquiry\iqcache\2228\a\k\ak.buy.com\6F7380766070A55
Click for more information about this threat : Bloodhound.HybridCOM
Oleg Chernavin 11/12/2005 08:47 am
You can do it in the Options dialog - Store Location. If a Web page contains viruses, Inquiry will save it as it is. We made Inquiry the way that it keeps all saved pages in a ZIP format, so it is easy for antivirus software to scan all saved pages and eliminate suspicious files.

Best regards,
Oleg Chernavin
MP Staff
Ron Horn 11/12/2005 10:40 am
I knew about Store Folder, that controls where you saved pages are stored. But what I`m asking about now is the IQCACHE folder. Mine is currently set to...

"C:\Documents and Settings\Ron\Local Settings\Application Data\MetaProducts\Inquiry\iqcache"

Regarding the viruses, anything`s possible, I just found it hard to believe that Buy.com or Motorola.com would contain viruses. My guess was that the files stored in IQCACHE just happened to contain a matching signature. That would be a rare coincidence though. Unless part of the random file name that Inquiry generates (6F7380766070A55) matches or partially matches a signature.

Oleg Chernavin 11/12/2005 10:52 am
IQCache is a folder that contains the files that you view in the Internet. When IQ is about to save a page, it uses these files. So, if there is an ActiveX that was downloaded by MS IE when you view a Web page, it may contain a virus. Feel free to allow antivirus software to erase the files in IQ Cache. It should not affect anything.

Oleg.
Ron Horn 11/12/2005 10:46 pm
Can I change the location of the icache folder?
Oleg Chernavin 11/14/2005 06:56 am
We can add a Registry setting to change it. But why do you need it? To use another more capable hard disk to store the cache?

Oleg.
Ron Horn 11/14/2005 08:05 am
Not necessarily more capable, just better suited, i.e. a drive that contains frequently changing files. When setting up a new PC, one of the first things I do is change the location of IE`s cache and set the TMP & TEMP variables.

I try to keep C: free of any non-essential files.
Oleg Chernavin 11/14/2005 08:15 am
OK. We will add this setting to 1.3 version.

Oleg.
Ron Horn 01/25/2006 10:46 pm
Is this in 1.3?
Oleg Chernavin 01/26/2006 06:12 am
Yes. You can use Windows Registry editor (regedit.exe) to change it:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\MetaProducts\mpapp

Please add a string value

TempDir

Oleg.