First impressions

MJJ 05/15/2005 06:09 pm
Spent a couple of hours trying out Inquiry and these are my first impressions. As I said in another post, love the neat interface, very well done indeed. Also love the fact that I can access both my IE favourites and Firefox bookmarks from the program.

But to be what Inquiry Pro aims at, i.e. at being an information manager rather than just a weblink manager, I feel that it needs taking greater care of the note aspect of the program. One sometimes want to aggregate bits of information taken from different websites and joing these to ongoing info on the same subject. Think, for example, that you have a problem with a specific aspect of building a CSS stylesheet. The idea is to grab info here and there on this particular problem rather than save loads of pages which have little to do with your main problem.

Therefore making a note should be easier. The only way I kind of saw around the problem was to upload several blank pages on a website and save them with Inquiry to edit them... Is there another way?

Also found that it was not possible to grab just a paragraph or two from a page, like I do with Scrapbook (an extension of Firefox) which allows me to quickly pick up bits of info (as well as whole pages when necessary) but doesn`t provide a smart way to edit the text like Inquiry Pro does....

In the same idea of having an real information manager rather than just a good weblink manager, one should be able to integrate some information from existing files into Inquiry, like a PDF one doesn`t remember the web address, a word document or some previously saved html pages referring to the subject worked on. Otherwise one ends up with multiple huge trees (one in the bookmark manager, one in Inquiry, one in the file system) with no links between them (and not always consistency between them either...). I have several hundreds folders in mine... and made a mock up of the windows file structure so that I can have the same one on my 3 computers but can`t unfortunately pass this on to Inquiry or to Firefox bookmarks manager... Treepad (www.treepad.com) is good on this side of things but not so good at grabbing webpages...

On the minor points, I didn`t manage to grab a page from my magazine website, i.e. www.ib-com.ch which uses frames. Only the parent page got "caught".

Can`t find an Inquiry button in Firefox. All I get is a right mouse clic link to save a page. And nothing in the Sidebar but this might be due to the fact that I have Scrapbook extension installed. Is it?

Will keep you posted as I go along...

nirmal 05/16/2005 03:12 pm
I get the idea. Have you tried contentsaver ( www.macropool.com )
MJJ 05/17/2005 07:53 am
> I get the idea. Have you tried contentsaver ( www.macropool.com )

Thanks for the suggestion. No but at first look it doesn`t do much more than Scrapbook does.
Really need the possibility to add notes with my web clippings.
Idea being that one write one or several notes per subject and below one finds the web pages that relate to these notes.
Oleg Chernavin 05/25/2005 01:31 pm
I am sorry that I am answering a bit late.

Thank you for your interest and for your kind words. We develop Inquiry intensively now and we plan to improve many things, so your comments are really valuable for us.

But I think, that there are some features that may help you with your needs:

> But to be what Inquiry Pro aims at, i.e. at being an information manager rather than just a weblink manager, I feel that it needs taking greater care of the note aspect of the program. One sometimes want to aggregate bits of information taken from different websites and joing these to ongoing info on the same subject. Think, for example, that you have a problem with a specific aspect of building a CSS stylesheet. The idea is to grab info here and there on this particular problem rather than save loads of pages which have little to do with your main problem.
>
> Therefore making a note should be easier. The only way I kind of saw around the problem was to upload several blank pages on a website and save them with Inquiry to edit them... Is there another way?

Did you try to click the Citation Panel button below the saved pages tree. You will find that it allows you to write simple comments to each of the pages.

Once you write a comment, you will be able to search for the text in comments. Also, you can move your mouse pointer over a page, wait a second and you will get a brief information about the saved page, including its screenshot and your comment.

> Also found that it was not possible to grab just a paragraph or two from a page, like I do with Scrapbook (an extension of Firefox) which allows me to quickly pick up bits of info (as well as whole pages when necessary) but doesn`t provide a smart way to edit the text like Inquiry Pro does....

You can easily save a paragraph or any other part of a Web page. Just select the desired text in a page and click the Save button. You will be prompted to save the selection only or the entire page.

You can also drag the selection to an existing saved page to combine them.

> On the minor points, I didn`t manage to grab a page from my magazine website, i.e. www.ib-com.ch which uses frames. Only the parent page got "caught".

OK. We will work on this issue. Thank you!

> Can`t find an Inquiry button in Firefox. All I get is a right mouse clic link to save a page. And nothing in the Sidebar but this might be due to the fact that I have Scrapbook extension installed. Is it?

Yes, the integration with FireFox is not very deep yet. We plan to add the sidebar to FireFox in future versions, but this may take some time.

Best regards,
Oleg Chernavin
MP Staff