Offlineexplorer-Pages in Inquiry

F. Zimmermann 04/14/2005 09:08 am
I am using your most of your products for a while now and I am really happy with them. I ld like to use inquiry as well, but i need the functionality of the offline explorer (saving at least one link-level along with the original site). I read that u planned this for Inquiry Pro for the future.

Since I own the Offline-Explorer already, i ld like to be able to import saved websites to inquiry
(Maybe its a prob to have the search function for the linked pages as well. But i could live with the search function for the main-page only.)

Yours

Florian Zimmermann

P.S.: Since Offline Explorer and Inquiry Pro are planned to merge and already overlap a bit, i ld love to have a speacial offer for those who already own the Offline Explorer (thats me par example ;) )
04/15/2005 02:16 am
> but i need the functionality of the offline explorer (saving at least one link-level along with the original site). I read that u planned this for Inquiry Pro for the future.

As Oleg said before:

"Level=1 is already supported - you can browse to the desired page in a browser, select all on the page (Ctrl-A) or only the desired links and drag the selection to Inquiry. You will be offered to save the links. Later you can select all saved pages and files in Inquiry and export them to the desired file format."

But I`m sure, even this function will be improved in future.

> Since I own the Offline-Explorer already, i ld like to be able to import saved websites to inquiry

Yes, some interaction possibilities wouldn`t be bad. Maybe we will see more when the file:// protocol in version 1.1 or 1.2 is supported?

> P.S.: Since Offline Explorer and Inquiry Pro are planned to merge and already overlap a bit,

Overlapping: yes; but merging? I don`t know...
Yes, they could benefit from each other, but they also have big differences. Offline Explorer is the tool to use, if you want to download whole (and maybe very complicated) Web sites or only special files in many deep directories in a very comfortable way.
Inquiry is more a good research tool for single pages.

And here are some other suggestions for future versions:

- It would be nice if I would be able to mark some pages and send them to a predefined browser (that would mean: exporting the pages to a temporary folder and open them in the external browser.) It would be fine, if this could be done with a one-button-click in the toolbar.

- It would be nice, if I could (temporary) disable the view of the download times of the saved pages (cluttering).

- An option to see only the URL instead of the page title (and a button for changing this behaviour in the toolbar?)

- Something that maybe could be improved fast: please let Inquiry count *all* pages (include subdirectories).

- It would be nice, if the download window would save the last position (it`s always in the middle of the screen); this is a little bit annoying.

- I`m missing a right-click copy function in the Reference box and the address bar (I want to mark a part of the URL and copy it to the clipboard; not only with CTRL+C).
Oleg Chernavin 04/15/2005 07:11 am
Yes, we do not plan to merge two products, but Inquiry will certainly get more and more capabilities with each new version.

I agree that a kind of import from Offline Explorer is necessary. We plan to do this, but probably after the site downloading feature appears in Inquiry.

Regarding the special offer - you are right and please write us to support@metaproducts.com about that. Please mention my name in the E-mail.

> And here are some other suggestions for future versions:
>
> - It would be nice if I would be able to mark some pages and send them to a predefined browser (that would mean: exporting the pages to a temporary folder and open them in the external browser.) It would be fine, if this could be done with a one-button-click in the toolbar.

Can you please tell me more, what it would do and how it is useful?

> - It would be nice, if I could (temporary) disable the view of the download times of the saved pages (cluttering).
>
> - An option to see only the URL instead of the page title (and a button for changing this behaviour in the toolbar?)
>
> - Something that maybe could be improved fast: please let Inquiry count *all* pages (include subdirectories).
>
> - It would be nice, if the download window would save the last position (it`s always in the middle of the screen); this is a little bit annoying.
>
> - I`m missing a right-click copy function in the Reference box and the address bar (I want to mark a part of the URL and copy it to the clipboard; not only with CTRL+C).

OK. We will add these suggestions to our plans.

Thank you!

Best regards,
Oleg Chernavin
MP Staff
04/17/2005 09:02 am
> > - It would be nice if I would be able to mark some pages and send them to a predefined browser (that would mean: exporting the pages to a temporary folder and open them in the external browser.) It would be fine, if this could be done with a one-button-click in the toolbar.
>
> Can you please tell me more, what it would do and how it is useful?

Similar tools have this option.
For obvious reasons I don`t like to use MS IE. And Inquiry uses the IE engine. I have saved some pages in Inquiry with interesting links, that I will follow later. And some sites are changing their contents very fast, so that it doesn`t make sense to only bookmark the URL for a later research (the interesting links are gone). But I think, using Inquiry also as a kind of bookmark manager isn`t a bad idea. That would mean, Inquiry needs two more possibilities:

1. Let Inquiry send only the URLs of marked pages to the external browser (when one wants to see the current - meanwhile changed - content of the page)

2. Let Inquiry export marked pages to the external browser in order to view contents that aren`t available anymore in the Web (with interesting and still working links).

As I can see, it isn`t possible yet to mark only some pages in several folders. Would it be possible to do that in future?

> OK. We will add these suggestions to our plans.

Thank you very much!
Oleg Chernavin 04/17/2005 02:14 pm
OK. As I see, you need some kind of External Browsers feature, like in Offline Explorer. We will add it to our plans.

Oleg.
F. Zimmermann 04/18/2005 04:13 am
Thanks for answer and offer :).
Just want to add that i buy (too) much software online and i can say that there are few companies that improve their software as frequntly and react as fast to suggestions as metaproducts does.

Florian.
Oleg Chernavin 04/18/2005 04:15 am
Thank you for your kind words!

Oleg.