Delete does not refresh folder view

Ron Horn 03/14/2005 09:13 pm
If I`m looking at thumbnails of items in a folder, then right click and delete an item, it`s deleted from the treeview but the displayed thumbnail page is not refreshed.
Oleg Chernavin 03/15/2005 02:53 am
Yes, because it is just a page in a browser. It is hard to make refresh in all browser windows, especially if you make copy/paste the link to the folder view.

Best regards,
Oleg Chernavin
MP Staff
Ron Horn 04/27/2005 09:43 pm
Ok, I`m gonna revisit this because I`ve gotten to the point where I`ve got to start organizing all my saved pages and this refresh problem makes that difficult.

First, I`m not sure what you mean by "make copy/paste the link to the folder view".

The problem: When I`m viewing the contents of a folder on the right hand side, then drag and drop items into other folders in the tree, those items remain in the view on the right.

Regarding drag/drop, the indicator (once the pointer is over the tree) shows that a copy is taking place. What I really want to do is "move" an item. There doesn`t seem to be a way to do that with drag/drop. I would argue that move should be the default drag/drop behavior. In Explorer, drag/drop does a Move and Ctrl drag/drop does a copy.

Now to the refresh problem, since I can`t move an item by dragging it from the right side over to the tree, I have to delete it after the drag/drop is complete. Once I delete the item, it remains in the view on the right. If I hit F5, that window is refreshed and the deleted item disappears. I don`t understand why Inquiry can`t essentially perform an F5 after a drag/drop or delete operation. Of course if other browser windows were open to the same view, I wouldn`t necessarily expect them to refresh, but I do expect the one I`m performing operations in to refresh.

Oleg Chernavin 05/04/2005 09:44 am
Ron,

The drag-and-drop operation actually moves pages. The problem with the browser page refresh is real, because it usually takes some time to refresh and when you need to move or delete several pages from an overpopulated folder, it slows down everything.

Oleg.
Ron Horn 05/04/2005 07:37 pm
I think I didn`t explain drag/drop properly. When done completely within the context of the tree view, it DOES do a move. HOWEVER, if you drag an item (thumbnail) from the right hand side and drop it onto a folder in the tree, it places a COPY there. The same scenario in Explorer performs a move.

As for the refresh, I still don`t understand. If I dragged 100 thumbnails from the right hand side onto some other folder in the tree view, it seems like you`d only have to refresh the right hand side one time, right after the move was complete. Again, the same operation in Explorer does just that.

Oleg Chernavin 05/05/2005 08:18 am
> I think I didn`t explain drag/drop properly. When done completely within the context of the tree view, it DOES do a move. HOWEVER, if you drag an item (thumbnail) from the right hand side and drop it onto a folder in the tree, it places a COPY there. The same scenario in Explorer performs a move.

Well, the right-hand side is just a Web page in the browser, so dragging a link from it actually saves that link in Inquiry (the thumbnail image) - so it is not a drag of a saved page.

> As for the refresh, I still don`t understand. If I dragged 100 thumbnails from the right hand side onto some other folder in the tree view, it seems like you`d only have to refresh the right hand side one time, right after the move was complete. Again, the same operation in Explorer does just that.

I understand, but refreshing a page in MS IE takes some time - it is a different case than Explorer.

Oleg.
Ron Horn 05/05/2005 03:17 pm
> Well, the right-hand side is just a Web page in the browser, so dragging a link from it actually saves that link in Inquiry (the thumbnail image) - so it is not a drag of a saved page.
>

Ok, I guess that makes sense. It would be better if Inquiry could recognize that I`m dragging a stored page and therefore intend to move it somewhere.

> I understand, but refreshing a page in MS IE takes some time - it is a different case than Explorer.
>

This I still don`t understand. Unless you have a very large/complex page, the time to re-render it is typically < 1 second, especially if all the data that`s being rendered is stored locally. Like I said earlier, when I hit F5 after performing a right-click/move from the thumbnail view, the updated page displays instanty.

Ron Horn 05/05/2005 10:50 pm
Don`t know what I was thinking....or doing for that matter...but I just dragged an item from the right hand side (which was a thumbnail view of saved pages - not a web page) and it DID do a MOVE. So I guess that does work. However...

I still had to hit F5 though in order to get an accurate view of the items that actually remained in the thumbnail view.
Oleg Chernavin 05/06/2005 12:37 am
Well, when we have some time, we will try to improve that right-hand IQ folder representation.

Oleg.