Bug report, Inquiry v1083-B2 - giant blank confirmation window

Steve Kay 03/10/2005 02:44 am
Hello,

First, I just started using Inquiry, and I`m very impressed. Admittedly, I figured it would be good, having been a user of Offline Explorer Pro for a few years. But this is the first program that is getting me to uninstall SurfSaverPro -- something I`ve wanted to do for a long time, esp since it only seems to be getting worse with each version.

I have discovered a bug with Inquiry, but hey, it`s a beta program -- and the bug isn`t nearly as serious as the bugs and shortcomings I`ve found in programs with comparable purposes. And I`m confident that this bug & other bugs will actually be addressed for Inquiry users.

Anyway, here`s what I`ve found: with the Inquiry sidebar & toolbar both visible in IE, when I press the yellow down-arrow button on the toolbar, sometimes a large blank window appears immediately after (or during?) the page-saving process. The otherwise-blank window is titled "MetaProducts Inquiry Confirmation". If I right-click the title bar on the window, I can choose "close" from the close|minimize menu options.

This page only appears intermittently, but I can reproduce the bug if I just keep pressing the yellow arrow button, saving a page repeatedly, until the problem window appears. The width of the window appears much, much larger than my screen -- but this could be due to the fact that I have 2 monitors and use Matrox PowerDesk software. Although the span-screens option is off in my Matrox app, sometimes certain windows -- like Help windows -- will be "maximized" beyond the width of both sides of my main monitor. Alas, this is a bug for another developer. But the very appearance of the blank "MetaProducts Inquiry Confirmation" window is clearly due to a bug rooted in Inquiry, whether or not this window`s gigantic proportions are unique to my own system.

Enough said. Please keep up the good work, Oleg (I presume).
Oleg Chernavin 03/10/2005 08:34 am
Steve,

Thank you for your kind words!

Can I ask you to look in the Options dialog of Inquiry whether the "When saving a page to the default folder" box is checked in the Confirmations section?

Best regards,
Oleg Chernavin
MP Staff
Steve Kay 03/10/2005 09:27 pm
Yes that box was checked; I think all the default settings were in effect, because I`ve just started using the application. Obviously that was the confirmation window that went buggy. Today, whatever settings I use, I cannot seem to reproduce the problem. Yet I don`t think anything else has changed on my system. So maybe it`s not a pressing matter -- certainly it isn`t for myself, since I would not continue to use that confirmation setting anyway. And without that setting, the big blank window may never appear again.
Steve

> Steve,
>
> Thank you for your kind words!
>
> Can I ask you to look in the Options dialog of Inquiry whether the "When saving a page to the default folder" box is checked in the Confirmations section?
>
> Best regards,
> Oleg Chernavin
> MP Staff
Oleg Chernavin 03/11/2005 06:28 am
OK. We will try to figure out what can be wrong. One of ideas is that can be related to unicode somehow.

Oleg.