URL when browsing saved pages

Ron Horn 02/08/2005 03:52 pm
In the past, when using various utilities to view saved web pages, the displayed URL typically references a local path, thereby convincing me that I`m indeed viewing the saved version.

Inquiry displays the original URL, just as if I were viewing the actual web page. So I initially found myself wondering if I were really viewing a local copy or the real thing. Jumping to a few other saved pages and noting no network activity convinced me I was indeed viewing the saved pages.

I think you`ve done it right though, especially considering the way in which you store the pages. There`s not really a main .html file lying around that when entered in the URL field would render the original page, so displaying the actual original URL seems logical.

At the moment I can`t think of any suggestions but I`m wishing there were some subtle indicator that I was viewing a saved page.
Oleg Chernavin 02/09/2005 03:05 am
I agree with you that it is necessary to make some difference between online pages and saved copies. So far, we implemented only a small indication in the page title - if you look at it, you will notice the iq: in the beginning of the it. For example:

iq: Google

Is it enough?

Best regards,
Oleg Chernavin
MP Staff
Allen 02/09/2005 04:53 am
> I agree with you that it is necessary to make some difference between online pages and saved copies. So far, we implemented only a small indication in the page title - if you look at it, you will notice the iq: in the beginning of the it. For example:
> > iq: Google
> > Is it enough?
> > Best regards,
> Oleg Chernavin
> MP Staff

Excellent Oleg..I wasnt sure here it was saving the file but have found them at
C:\Documents and Settings\XXXXXX\Application Data\MetaProducts\Inquiry\Data

**In future version it woulld be most appreciated if we could select the location to save all files

Thank you
Oleg Chernavin 02/09/2005 05:28 am
You can do it using the Options dialog | Store Location section.

Oleg.
Allen 02/09/2005 05:32 am
> You can do it using the Options dialog | Store Location section.
> > Oleg.

I must be sleepy...haha, thanks Oleg!
Oleg Chernavin 02/09/2005 05:36 am
Not a problem!

Oleg.
Ron Horn 02/09/2005 01:06 pm
> iq: Google
>
> Is it enough?
>

Yes! I had looked everywhere `except` the title bar.

Thanks!
Oleg Chernavin 02/09/2005 04:28 pm
You are welcome!

Oleg.
Basil Clarke 02/25/2005 06:28 pm
Oleg, preferably it would be easy to revisit the website to check whether the page had changed or not. I`m using Inquiry to store information about houses for sale. I need to be able to quickly check that they haven`t been sold.
Oleg Chernavin 02/26/2005 04:08 pm
Basil,

Right now you can only update the page using the Tools menu. But this doesn`t give you an automatic indication of whether the page has changed or not. We plan to add such feature in 1.2 or 1.3 version. However if you need it urgently, please let me know.

Oleg.
Alexander Shevchenko 02/26/2005 09:59 pm
Hi! Just downloaded the program. Very impressive, even compared with ContentSaver. As to this thread, I`d appreciate being able to save local pages (opened from my hard drive, that is - file://). But the program says that it can only save pages starting from http://
Oleg Chernavin 02/27/2005 04:34 pm
Thank you for your kind words!

We plan to add this ability in 1.1 or 1.2 version.

Oleg.
Joy Higgins 04/09/2005 02:00 pm
> I agree with you that it is necessary to make some difference between online pages and saved copies. So far, we implemented only a small indication in the page title - if you look at it, you will notice the iq: in the beginning of the it. For example:
>
> iq: Google
>
> Is it enough?

From a new user--now that I know where to look, it`s plenty enough for me! Clean and simple. No sense cluttering up the program. Thanks. Joy
Oleg Chernavin 04/10/2005 02:55 am
You are welcome!

Oleg.