DE and FlashGot / firefox 2.0

Manuel 04/12/2007 06:30 am
Download Express work perfectly with his plug-in for firefox. But I can't make him work with flashgot (I like a few features of this plugin). The download window does open but nothing else happen.
I think it's about the Arguments template line to fill in the flashgot options. Maybe there is a specific syntax ?
Hope someone could help me.
In advance, many thanks.
Alexander 04/12/2007 07:40 am
Manuel,

What is your Download Express version?

Best regards,
Alexander Bednyakov
MP Staff
Manuel 04/12/2007 08:28 am
My DE version is 1.9.0.337.
In advance, thanks for your help !!
Manuel 04/13/2007 08:18 am
Many many thanks !!
Maybe it could be usefull in a readme file or something.

Best regards
Manuel 04/13/2007 09:11 am
It seems I talked too fast. In fact I''ve got a Download Express Error : "Erreur de reception d''url" in french. That could mean "URL reception (catching ?) error". Maybe it''s because of the french language ?
Alexander 04/13/2007 09:33 am
Manuel,

Strange, I tested this at the time I replied you. Now it doesn''t work, too.
However, when you specify parameters without FlashGot''s placeholders, it works:

command=Url=http://www.ibm.com/i/v14/t/ibm-logo.gif;Referer=http://www.ibm.com;Path=c:\

but, of course, it downloads only this hard-coded image file every time. So, it seems that the problem is in the placeholder''s convertion to the real data.
I''ll try to contact FlashGot''s author, hope he will be able to help.

Best regards,
Alexander Bednyakov
MP Staff
Giorgio Maone 04/13/2007 11:12 am
Hi Manuel, hi Alexander,
the semicolon ";" which is required as a separator *with no space allowed* between the arguments is incompatible with current FlashGot's template parser which assumes spaces as separators and passes each arguments to the underlying system APIs in a cross-platform way that ensures they're consinstently escaped to avoid remote exploitations.

It shouldn't be a big deal, though, since Download Express seems smart enough to "guess" an almost always OK referer by the download URL and can be tricked into asking for path anyway.

So the working argument template should be:

[command=Url=URL] /

Notice the trailing slash which triggers Download Express' "Save As" dialog - don't know why but it works, and I believe any other character would do, but Alexander can tell for sure ;-)
Alexander 04/14/2007 04:01 am
Giorgio Maone,

Thank you very much for such fast reply!

> the semicolon ";" which is required as a separator *with no space allowed* between the
> arguments is incompatible with current FlashGot's template parser which assumes spaces
> as separators and passes each arguments to the underlying system APIs in a cross-platform
> way that ensures they're consinstently escaped to avoid remote exploitations.

It's clear, thanks.

> It shouldn't be a big deal, though, since Download Express seems smart enough to "guess"
> an almost always OK referer by the download URL and can be tricked into asking for path anyway.
>
> So the working argument template should be:
>
> [command=Url=URL] /
>
> Notice the trailing slash which triggers Download Express' "Save As" dialog - don't know why
> but it works, and I believe any other character would do, but Alexander can tell for sure ;-)

This slash isn't necessary, it is good to use just:

[command=Url=URL]

Yes, Download Express will use auto-created referer and this should work for most of sites.
Manuel, please use the parameter recommended by Giorgio Maone for now. In the meantime we will try to find the complete solution.

Thanks,
Alexander
Manuel 04/16/2007 03:09 am
Many thanks to both of you Alexander and Gorgio.
Kind regards.
Alexander 04/16/2007 03:41 am
Manuel,

I am glad that your problem is solved.
Please feel free to contact us if you have any further question.

Best regards,
Alexander Bednyakov
MP Staff