RAM issue in Download Express

Pavel 09/16/2006 06:51 am
Hello.

I've found at least 2 exsiting topics in this forum about this problem. And I see the problem clearly, so I don't understand, why not fix it right away.

I start a download with Download Express. Open the Windows Process Manager and watch. The amount of memory that DE uses while downloading a file is constantly increasing. It's not surpirsing that people who download 1,5Gb files run out of virtual memory.

Why doesn't DE just download a part of a file and then dump it to the hard drive and free the memory for the next part of a file and repeat the process, as all other download managers do? That's very annoying!

I like DE VERY MUCH, but at the same time this issue disappoints me greatly! How can professional programmers make such a stupid mistake?!

The only way to reset the constantly increasing memory usage is to bring the DE window to the desktop, then to minimize it, or vice versa. If I perform this trick, the used memory amount can be reset even to 1mb, but still it will soon be much more again.

So, please, fix this error as soon as possible.
Alexander 09/18/2006 04:47 am
Pavel,

Thank you for writing us.

> I've found at least 2 exsiting topics in this forum about this problem. And I see the problem clearly,
> so I don't understand, why not fix it right away.
>
> I start a download with Download Express. Open the Windows Process Manager and watch. The
> amount of memory that DE uses while downloading a file is constantly increasing. It's not
> surpirsing that people who download 1,5Gb files run out of virtual memory.
>
> Why doesn't DE just download a part of a file and then dump it to the hard drive and free the
> memory for the next part of a file and repeat the process, as all other download managers do?

Download Express does not keep the downloaded data in the program memory buffers at all.
It uses the Windows API's memory-mapped files feature and dumps the file to disk quite often (every 100 or so kilobytes downloaded.)
This increasing of memory using numbers turned out to be the undocumented "feature" of these Windows API functions. The way you change the memory using (minimize/maximize the program window) shows that there is some incompleteness in the functions code - Download Express does not do anything with memory when minimizes or maximizes its window, Windows changes the numbers itself.

> That's very annoying!
>
> I like DE VERY MUCH, but at the same time this issue disappoints me greatly! How can professional
> programmers make such a stupid mistake?!

We wonder too. I hope there is a way to change the behavior of these API functions and we will find it.

Thank you for your message.
Best regards,
Alexander Bednyakov
MP Staff
Pavel 09/18/2006 09:01 am
Thanks for a fast reply.

> We wonder too. I hope there is a way to change the behavior of these API functions and we will find it.

Moreover, I think there is definitely a way to change this, as many other donwload managers seem to have no such problem.

Good luck in the investigation of the case!
Alexander 09/18/2006 09:37 am
Pavel,

> Moreover, I think there is definitely a way to change this, as many other donwload managers
> seem to have no such problem.
>
> Good luck in the investigation of the case!

Thank you!
Alexander