User-agent

Can Gokceatam 01/10/2006 01:05 am
I`m a registered owner of Offline Explorer Pro and I just discovered Download Express. Another very fine program from MetaProducts! I like it so much that I think I will register for the full version. Though I have a small question that has been boggling my mind. Does Download Express have the ability to mimic the browser`s user-agent string ? I`m asking because some sites (particularly membership based ones) require you to use the same user-agent string as the browser to download from that site... I would appreciate if you could clarify this one.
Alexander 01/11/2006 11:45 am
Can Gokceatam,

Thank you for writing us.
Download Express uses the fixed user-agent string: `Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 5.0; Windows 98)`
It can read the customized user-agent string from the registry (the `UserAgent` string value of the `HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\MetaProducts\Download Express` registry key.)

Sincerely,
Alexander.
| Alexander Bednyakov
| MetaProducts Corporation

> I`m a registered owner of Offline Explorer Pro and I just discovered Download Express. Another very fine program from MetaProducts! I like it so much that I think I will register for the full version. Though I have a small question that has been boggling my mind. Does Download Express have the ability to mimic the browser`s user-agent string ? I`m asking because some sites (particularly membership based ones) require you to use the same user-agent string as the browser to download from that site... I would appreciate if you could clarify this one.
Can Gokceatam 01/13/2006 10:20 am
Ah thanks! That`s what I needed to know. Now I just checked that registry key and there is no UserAgent string value there. Do I just create it and it reads it from there ?

Can

> Can Gokceatam,
>
> Thank you for writing us.
> Download Express uses the fixed user-agent string: `Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 5.0; Windows 98)`
> It can read the customized user-agent string from the registry (the `UserAgent` string value of the `HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\MetaProducts\Download Express` registry key.)
>
> Sincerely,
> Alexander.
> | Alexander Bednyakov
> | MetaProducts Corporation
>
> > I`m a registered owner of Offline Explorer Pro and I just discovered Download Express. Another very fine program from MetaProducts! I like it so much that I think I will register for the full version. Though I have a small question that has been boggling my mind. Does Download Express have the ability to mimic the browser`s user-agent string ? I`m asking because some sites (particularly membership based ones) require you to use the same user-agent string as the browser to download from that site... I would appreciate if you could clarify this one.
Alexander 01/13/2006 04:08 pm
Can,

> Ah thanks! That`s what I needed to know. Now I just checked that registry key and there is no
> UserAgent string value there. Do I just create it and it reads it from there ?

Yes, just create the string value and fill it with the necessary user-agent string.

Alexander