Broken download

Marcin 12/30/2005 03:06 pm
Today I have installed DE v 1.9 and started downloading rather huge file ca. 1.5GB. With the progress of the downloading the allocation of RAM increased as well (no such problem before, no application in bacground, usually above 900MB free). I went to watch TV and when I returned, DE was closed and when I tried to resume downloading I get the message Unknown Project. I suppose It downloaded more than available memory (SWAP is off) and died. My question is WHY, how to prevent it and why in the requirements there is nothing abut swap file?
Marcin 12/30/2005 03:07 pm
> Today I have installed DE v 1.9 and started downloading rather huge file ca. 1.5GB. With the progress of the downloading the allocation of RAM increased as well (no such problem before, no application in bacground, usually above 900MB free). I went to watch TV and when I returned, DE was closed and when I tried to resume downloading I get the message Unknown Project. I suppose It downloaded more than available memory (SWAP is off) and died. My question is WHY, how to prevent it and why in the requirements there is nothing abut swap file?

And one more thing - how to restart this project witout downloading the whole file once again? The file is still on my hard drive.
Marcin 12/30/2005 03:49 pm
Sorry for three posts in row, but I have found similar problem on this forum without solution:

http://www.metaproducts.com/mp/mpSupport_User_Forums_Message.asp?id=995&keywords=memory
Alexander 12/31/2005 04:22 am
Marcin,

Thank you for writing us.
What is the size of the destination file?
Please try to remove the .DE extension from the file name and open the file.
Please write me about the result. Thank you!

Sincerely,
Alexander.
| Alexander Bednyakov
| MetaProducts Corporation
Marcin 12/31/2005 06:26 am
Thank you for fast reply.

> What is the size of the destination file?

Approx. 1,5GB

Link:
ftp://ftp.sap.com/pub/sdn/devkits/netweaver/abap/SAPNW2004sSneakPreviewABAP.rar

> Please try to remove the .DE extension from the file name and open the file.

Winrar message "File is corrupt".

It is immossible that DE finished download, because I have just 256kbps internet connection and the file was supposed to be ready about 8 hours later. So now I think that it is immpossible to continue the downloading, but could you tell me what to do to prevent this happen again? I like DE because of it size and functionlity limited just to essentials, but I need this file (and some more large files).

Best regards
Marcin
Alexander 01/03/2006 05:54 am
Marcin,

Thank you for this information.
We will do the tests to reproduce this problem. This will help us to fix the problem, if it is caused by Download Express.

Alexander
Regina 08/22/2006 02:45 pm
> Today I have installed DE v 1.9 and started downloading rather huge file ca. 1.5GB. With the progress of the downloading the allocation of RAM increased as well (no such problem before, no application in bacground, usually above 900MB free). I went to watch TV and when I returned, DE was closed and when I tried to resume downloading I get the message Unknown Project. I suppose It downloaded more than available memory (SWAP is off) and died. My question is WHY, how to prevent it and why in the requirements there is nothing abut swap file?

hello!
i have a question if you can help me. i tried to access that ftp and i dont have a user and a pass.can you help me with one? or, do you know a http location where i can download the software? i tried www.sdn.sap.org but unfortunatelly the download was a succes.
or,do you have yahoo mess id?
thanks a lot,
Rgi
Alexander 08/23/2006 09:32 am
Regina,

Which ftp server do you mean?

Best regards,
Alexander Bednyakov
MP Staff
Zoran 01/03/2007 11:14 am
Regarding all this, i just want to say that I have a very similar if not exactly the same problem. I can not download a file approximately 1.3 GB big. I left it to download overnight, and today the download window was miraculously gone. The projects window was still there and it looked like some 80% was downloaded and still downloading, but in fact nothing was going on any more - there were no network traffic. I tried to stop the download, and it seemed to work, but when I tried to continue, it started from scratch, although the server supports interrupted downloads. (I'm positive about that because I interrupted and continued the same file a few times before.)

Download Express is in my opinion the best free downloader and I would like to continue using it very much. But buggy!!

From the earlier version I remember problems downloading files with very long names. It seems that Download Express does not like anything big ;-)
Alexander 01/03/2007 12:43 pm
Zoran,

The developers work now to fix similar problem in Mass Downloader. We will release the updated version of Download Express as soon it is fixed.

Sincerely,
Alexander.
| Alexander Bednyakov
| MetaProducts Corporation
Yusuf 05/02/2008 10:23 pm
I have tried to use DE recently. I can say that each time I have downloaded a file with it, the file ultimately gets corrupted. It is very irritating to use something which is neither effective nor efficient. Even speed adjustments do not solve the problem. I suggest that users switch to other download managers. It is a fact that even the download managers found in internet browsers yield better results than this software. Their speeds are acceptable and more importantly, I obtain my files.
Alexander 05/03/2008 05:44 am
Yusuf,

What is your Download Express version number?

Best regards,
Alexander Bednyakov
MP Staff