Slow Download Speed.

redmaledeer 10/09/2005 12:48 am
(Windows XP Home, Internet Explorer 6 SP1, Download Express 1.8.0.331; all fully updated. Dialup, 52kbps.)

I get the resuming ability of Download Express (DE), but not the speedup. Download speed is the same whether I use DE or the downloader built into Internet Explorer, about 5 kb per second on High (Unlimited).

In a way this isn`t a problem. If I can resume, a long download is not so bad. The download can be done in chunks, and dropped phone connections which might occur in a long download are resumed. But it would be nice to also get the speedup.

I have been using the default of 7 threads for High speed mode.

Any suggestions? Thanks.
Alexander 10/10/2005 02:50 am
redmaledeer,

Thank you for writing us.
The download speed 5 Kb/sec is the normal speed for 52kbps modem.
Could you please make a simple test - to download the same 1mb file by Internet Explorer and by Download Express and note the time of both downloads. Which time will be smaller?

Thanks,
Alexander Bednyakov
MP Staff
redmaledeer 10/10/2005 11:04 pm

Thanks for the information, Alexander. It sounds as if it`s normal not to get speedup using dial-up. But that surprises me a bit. I looked on the web and people said that they were getting speedup even (I think) using dial-up. But MP is certainly the authority.

I downloaded Spyware Blaster (2,560,240 bytes) from MajorGeeks` Florida site. The times were

DownloadExpress (DE) - 8 minutes 50 seconds,
Internet Explorer (IE) - 8 minutes 15 seconds.

When I looked at DE`s "Progress" tab during the download it seemed as if only one thread was active at a time. That would seem consistent with DE and IE taking the same amount of time.

But I know that IE is limited in the number of threads it can use at a time (2?). One can increase this number by editing the Registry. I wonder whether increasing the number might enable IE to make better use of the larger number of threads which DE can handle. I have also heard that increasing the number speeds up IE downloads in general, not just with a download manager like DE.

> redmaledeer,
>
> Thank you for writing us.
> The download speed 5 Kb/sec is the normal speed for 52kbps modem.
> Could you please make a simple test - to download the same 1mb file by Internet Explorer and by Download Express and note the time of both downloads. Which time will be smaller?
>
> Thanks,
> Alexander Bednyakov
> MP Staff
Alexander 10/12/2005 04:38 am
> Thanks for the information, Alexander. It sounds as if it`s normal not to get speedup using dial-up. But that surprises me a bit. I looked on the web and people said that they were getting speedup even (I think) using dial-up. But MP is certainly the authority.

This depends on the web server from which you download files. As I see from your message, it doesn`t allow to use several connections.

> When I looked at DE`s "Progress" tab during the download it seemed as if only one thread was active at a time. That would seem consistent with DE and IE taking the same amount of time.
>
> But I know that IE is limited in the number of threads it can use at a time (2?).

IE uses one connection per file. And, as I remember, the default number is 4 (so, it can download four files simultaneously - for example, a web page and three images.)

> One can increase this number by editing the Registry. I wonder whether increasing the number might enable IE to make better use of the larger number of threads which DE can handle. I have also heard that increasing the number speeds up IE downloads in general, not just with a download manager like DE.

Yes, this will increase the speed of your browsing. The download speed will be the same.

Could you please try to download any file from our site using Download Express`s High Speed mode? The latest Download Express version can be found here: http://www.metaproducts.com/download/desetup.exe

How many threads does Download Express use for this file?

Thanks,
Alexander