Projects list window / Authentication

Louis 01/19/2005 12:26 pm
Hi,

I`m trying Download Express 1.6 SR1 Build 273 and have 2 little questions about this good software:

With Firefox 1.0: drag and drop into the `projects list` window works only after I`ve added the file extension in the options panel, and in some cases (e.g. with file extension .001) there`s no way to add the file to that list, I`m forced to download it using the right mouse click menu in Firefox. The same happens with the clipboard monitoring function. With IE I can add all file types without a problem.

Secondly, with IE and Firefox: on web sites that require authentication, every time a file is downloaded, a MS Windows (I use Win98) popup appears asking me to confirm user and pass (even when `save` checkbox is enabled), and I must hit `OK` every time. I`m sure this site uses cookies to authenticate access: is it possible to use them, or to store user and pass in DE options (e.g. registry) permanently? (Yes, I`ve checked the option to use IE cookies)

Using Mass Downloader instead would partially solve this issues?

Thanks in advance!

Louis
Defenestration 01/19/2005 01:17 pm
I had no problems adding the extension 001 to the file types list with DE 1.7.304 Beta 2. The Drag and Drop problem with Firefox still exists in this beta. The same is true of the clipboard monitoring function.

Regarding the authentication problem, try loggin on in IE, and then trying to download the file withe DE. Does this work ?

Also, are you using a limited user account or Administrator account ?
Alexander 01/19/2005 03:39 pm
Louis,

Thank you for writing us.

> With Firefox 1.0: drag and drop into the `projects list` window works only after I`ve added
> the file extension in the options panel, and in some cases (e.g. with file extension .001)
> there`s no way to add the file to that list, I`m forced to download it using the right mouse
> click menu in Firefox.

Thank you for your report. We will fix this in the 1.7 Release version. We plan to release it before the middle of February.

> The same happens with the clipboard monitoring function.

This is right for the Clipboard monitoring function. Otherwise Download Express will catch all links you have placed to Clipboard, even HTML pages URLs.

> Secondly, with IE and Firefox: on web sites that require authentication, every time a file
> is downloaded, a MS Windows (I use Win98) popup appears asking me to confirm user
> and pass (even when `save` checkbox is enabled), and I must hit `OK` every time.

Is this possible to ask to send us a link for a test? Is this public server?
What is FireFox or Internet Explorer behavior for these downloads?

> Using Mass Downloader instead would partially solve this issues?

Mass Downloader uses the same authentication scheme as Download Express does. If the server asks for authentication it shows the corresponding dialog.

Thank you for your help.

Sincerely,
Alexander.
| Alexander Bednyakov
| MetaProducts Corporation
Louis 01/19/2005 05:11 pm

> > > Secondly, with IE and Firefox: on web sites that require authentication, every time a file
> > is downloaded, a MS Windows (I use Win98) popup appears asking me to confirm user
> > and pass (even when `save` checkbox is enabled), and I must hit `OK` every time.
> > Is this possible to ask to send us a link for a test? Is this public server?
> What is FireFox or Internet Explorer behavior for these downloads?

Thanks all for answering so quickly!

I`ve sent an e-mail Attn Alexander (support@metaproducts.com) with a link. Hope it helps.

Regards

Louis
Alexander 01/20/2005 02:59 am
Louis,

Thank you.
I have got it.

Alexander
Alexander 01/21/2005 01:51 am
Louis,

Thank you for thr link.
Could you please test the updated build?
The link is:
http://www.metaproducts.com/download/debsetup.exe
Please write us about the result. Thank you.

Sincerely,
Alexander
Louis 01/21/2005 11:05 am
> Louis,
> > Thank you for thr link.
> Could you please test the updated build?
> The link is:
> http://www.metaproducts.com/download/debsetup.exe
> Please write us about the result. Thank you.
> > Sincerely,
> Alexander

Hi Alexander!

I`ve tested DE Version 1.7.304 Beta 2: once I have entered user and pass on the OS authentication window and checked the `remember` checkbox, all works fine now, no need to re-enter them again for further downloads from the same site/port (the popup will only appear if user or pass are wrong). This problem is solved, thanks!!! (tested on both IE and Firefox)

Nice work!

Regards

Louis
Alexander 01/23/2005 04:30 am
Louis,

Good.
Please feel free to contact us if you have any further questions.

Alexander