DE using alternative integration mode

Author Message
Dick Klingens 07/16/2004 07:23 am
I am using DE 1.6.0.267 with alternative integration mode on a Windows XP Prof system.

After clicking a link to a PDF file DE`s alternative mode opens and let me choose: running from the current location or saving.
When I choose for Run, a `Save file as...` window opens.

That is not what I expected.
And I noticed this first after re-installing DE on my Windows XP system.
As I remember from using DE on my former system (Windows 98), after clicking RUN, the dowload process started, immediately followed by Adobe Acrobat (which I use as my standard PDF viewer).

Is it me, my sytem (Windows XP or is it DE, that does not act as I want?

Regards,
Dick
Alexander 07/16/2004 07:31 am
Dear Dick Klingens,

Thank you for writing us.
Please go to the Download Express Options dialog, Integration tab.
Please remove PDF extension from the list of accepting file types and click the OK button.
Then please test your PDF downloads and write us about the result. Thank you.

Best regards,
Alexander Bednyakov
MP Staff
Dick Klingens 07/16/2004 09:11 am
Thank you for your quick reprly

> Please remove PDF extension from the list of accepting file types and click the OK button.
> Then please test your PDF downloads and write us about the result. Thank you.

I removed the PDF extension.
I cicked a link to a PDF file.
Immediately Adobe Acrobat started and showd the file.
With Alt+ctrl+Click on the same link, DE`s File download started with the run radio button marked.
I clicked the OK button en again the `Save file as .." window opened.

That` it fo now...
Regards, Dick

Alexander 07/16/2004 09:42 am
> I removed the PDF extension.
> I cicked a link to a PDF file.
> Immediately Adobe Acrobat started and showd the file.

This is OK. Download Express now doesn`t monitor PDF files.

> With Alt+ctrl+Click on the same link, DE`s File download
> started with the run radio button marked.
> I clicked the OK button en again the `Save file as .." window opened.

This is OK too, because Alt+Ctrl click doesn`t check the accepting file types list.
Best regards,
Alexander Bednyakov
MP Staff
Dick Klingens 07/16/2004 10:18 am
> > I removed the PDF extension.
> This is OK. Download Express now doesn`t monitor PDF files.

> > With Alt+ctrl+Click on the same link, DE`s File download
> > started with the run radio button marked.
> > I clicked the OK button en again the `Save file as .." window opened.
>
> This is OK too, because Alt+Ctrl click doesn`t check the accepting file types list.

But this is not (yet?) a solution to my problem.
I expect DE (with `RUN from the current location` marked, and PDF exension active) not to ask me FIRST to save the file and then let ME (myself) perform a second action to OPEN the file (with the Open file button).
As said (see first message), I remember me DE immediately opening the file with Acrobat (storing the file temporarely?), skipping the saving process of the file.

Now I have to delete every opened file by hand.
And that wasn`t the case in my former installation (wasn`t it?).

Regards,
Dick
e1100 07/19/2004 08:21 am
I agree with Dick.

I just went back to v. 1.5 due to this behaviour.

With v. 1.5 PDF is in the list of accepted file types and when `run this program from the current position` is selected, the file is automatically downloaded in Tmp directory and opened without any intervention.

In fact (even if Dick seems not to be aware of it) the file is always downloaded locally and, in principle, the temporary file should be deleted.
But at least no question is asked to the user to get the desired result.

b.t.w. What is the effect of the new checkbox offering "alternative integration mode" in v. 1.6 ?
I was not able to find an explanation of it and I chose not to enable it.
The behaviour with PDF files, as you can see, is anyway the same described by Dick.

Thank you for your support and my compliments for the excellent tool.

Best regards.
Dick Klingens 07/19/2004 08:57 am
Dear e1100 and Alexaner,

> I just went back to v. 1.5 due to this behaviour.

And so I went back to DE 1.5 too.
And the (exellent) program works (again) as I liked it

> With v. 1.5 PDF is in the list of accepted file types and when `run this program from the current position` is selected, the file is automatically downloaded in Tmp directory and opened without any intervention.

And 1.6 doesn`t...

> In fact (even if Dick seems not to be aware of it) the file is always downloaded locally and, in principle, the temporary file should be deleted.
> But at least no question is asked to the user to get the desired result.

I was and am aware of it...

> b.t.w. What is the effect of the new checkbox offering "alternative integration mode" in v. 1.6 ?
> I was not able to find an explanation of it and I chose not to enable it.
> The behaviour with PDF files, as you can see, is anyway the same described by Dick.

I have the same question. And I think the not-wanted behaviour of 1.6 isn`t caused by that feature.

Best regards,
Dick Klingens
Alexander 07/19/2004 10:24 am
Dear Dick Klingens and e1100,

Thank you for your help and kind words.
This problem is fixed, we will release the new version shortly.
Is this possible ask you to test the fixed build?

> b.t.w. What is the effect of the new checkbox offering "alternative
> integration mode" in v. 1.6 ? I was not able to find an explanation
> of it and I chose not to enable it.

IE 6.0 has the new integration way. It should be very reliable, as promised by MS.
We use it in DE 1.6 as main method. The old one is kept, you can use it by checking this "alternative integration mode" box.

Best regards,
Alexander Bednyakov
MP Staff
Dick Klingens 07/19/2004 12:05 pm
Dear Alexander,

> Thank you for your help and kind words.
> This problem is fixed, we will release the new version shortly.
> Is this possible ask you to test the fixed build?

Thank you for your information.
When will the new version be released? Can you drop me (us) an email?
And of course I would like to test it.

Sincerely,
Dick Klingens
Alexander 07/20/2004 01:45 am
> Thank you for your information.
> When will the new version be released? Can you drop me (us) an email?
> And of course I would like to test it.

I think we will have it in a couple of days. I will write you.
Thank you for your help!

Best regards,
Alexander Bednyakov
MP Staff