Machine slowed during large (600M) download

Jozsef 12/04/2003 02:55 pm
Hello

I started to use DE (v1.3) about a year ago. I tried it because of the ugly flaws of the MS downloader (no warning about errors, truncated files, no easy resume). It is a nice program, I didn`t encounter any serious problems until lately. Now I upgraded to v1.5 but it didn`t fix the problem, so I decided to report it. I`d use this opportunity to make some other comments
as well.

I use the program on an old 500Mhz AMD, 128M RAM, Win98SE, IE6SP1, 384/96 DSL connection with a typical dl speed of 45k/s. I set DE to use a single thread for medium settings without speed limit (999999) since this is usually enough to reach normal dl speed. (High priority is set to 3 threads.)

* The problem occurs when downloading 650M images from "http://download.microsoft.com/download/b/d/c/bdccea1b-96d9-4ad9-8045-56619af95835/qtr40enud1.img". This dl location is unreliable to me, sometimes reporting file not found, sometimes dropping down to 20k or 10k speed (these are not DE problems, also happens with IE). My problem is that DE hangs the machine almost completely when downloading (normal speed mode). Everything seems ok when the dl starts, but after about 400M is downloaded, slowly moving the mouse experiences 5-10 secs delays. No problem when the data flow temporarily drops out, then again as the flow resumes. It also break my DSL connection 2 out of 3 nights (the third night I used the new 1.5 version).

This speed problem seems unreasonable even on this slow machine. In my favourite filesharing app, I often dl several 700M movies simultaneously, with 50k total speed and other activites in the background, and never experienced anything similar. I cannot tell whether it is related to this
source site, since I usually only download 10-20M files at max through http or ftp. I only downloaded a 600M file once before, that download finished normally by morning, so no telling if the problem was present or not.

* The blank page after download problem reported by someone else also present on my machine. First time I saw it on www.f-prot.com when downloading the DOS version and the virus def files.

* Since my primary concern is reliability, I`d like to know whether DE does a safety check when resuming (excuse me if this is already in the docs somewhere). I mean, downloading from a little earlier point in the file and comparing the last few kilobytes with what`s present on disk. If it`s not used now, let me make this as a feature suggestion.

Thanks, Jozsef
Alexander 12/08/2003 04:52 am
Dear Jozsef,

Thank you for writing us.
We are fixing the problem with slowing down the system while downloading big files. The cause there is the way to save data to disk - it is very reliable, but slow.
We plan to implement the new storing method in 1.6 version of Download Express.
Thanks.

Best regards,
Alexander Bednyakov
MP Staff
Sean 04/08/2004 02:50 pm
> Dear Jozsef,
>
> Thank you for writing us.
> We are fixing the problem with slowing down the system while downloading big files. The cause there is the way to save data to disk - it is very reliable, but slow.
> We plan to implement the new storing method in 1.6 version of Download Express.
> Thanks.
>
> Best regards,
> Alexander Bednyakov
> MP Staff
>

When will 1.6 be out?
Alexander 04/08/2004 03:35 pm
Dear Sean,

We plan to release Download Express 1.6 Beta 1 in the end of April.

Best regards,
Alexander Bednyakov
MP Staff