Pictures, images and icons aren`t displayed (randomly)

Technik Daddy 03/29/2006 07:02 am
After installing DE the above effect occurs browsing some pages with lots of those elements. Small pics, imgs and icons which are repeated such as emoticons, favicons etc. do not display, sometimes the one, sometimes the other one, just randomly as i wrote. This effect disappears as soon as DE is deinstalled or some certain of it`s subkeys are deleted from registry beneath "HKCR/classes/protocols/name-space handlers". But these will be dynamically re-registered as soon as DE is invoked again and the error then returns, too.

Any idea?
Alexander 03/29/2006 07:02 am
Dear Technik Daddy,

Thank you for writing us.
Could you please write us the version number of your copy of Download Express?
Thank you.

Sincerely,
Alexander.
| Alexander Bednyakov
| Senior Developer
| MetaProducts Corporation
> Thank you for writing us.
Thanks for answering.

> Could you please write us the version number of your copy of Download Express?
> Thank you.
Of course, I`m currently using Ver. 1.4.0.193. But this behavior occurred in earlier versions too, it really caused me some trouble not to find out that the presence of DE makes the difference. Maybe it`s not DE itself but some far effects of it`s presence?

Greetz
TD
Dear Technik Daddy,

Download Express uses the recommended by MS technique "Pluggable Protocol Handlers" to monitor browser clicks. The problem you describe seems to be caused by this integration part. We have examined our code thoroughly, but didn`t find any problem places.
We continue working with this issue. I hope it will be fixing in the next version of Download Express.

Sincerely,
Alexander.
| Alexander Bednyakov
| Senior Developer
;-) fine!

I`m looking forward for a solution - even if it`s not really *your* problem as it seems.

TD

> I`m looking forward for a solution - even if it`s not really *your* problem as it seems.
>

Hey, great! The Beta 1.5.0.215 I`ve actually installed works w/o this annoying phenomenon. Meanwhile there have been at least 2 M$ updates too, concerning relevant libraries for IE6 SP1. So I`m not sure what was finally responsible for the "solution".

Best Regards
TD
Dear Technik Daddy,

Thank you for your feedback.
I am glad that your problem is solved.

Sincerely,
Alexander.
| Alexander Bednyakov
| Senior Developer
Wheelie4 03/29/2006 07:02 am
> After installing DE the above effect occurs browsing some pages with lots of those elements. Small pics, imgs and icons which are repeated such as emoticons, favicons etc. do not display, sometimes the one, sometimes the other one, just randomly as i wrote. This effect disappears as soon as DE is deinstalled or some certain of it`s subkeys are deleted from registry beneath "HKCR/classes/protocols/name-space handlers". But these will be dynamically re-registered as soon as DE is invoked again and the error then returns, too.
>
> Any idea?

I tried DE about 2 months ago (DE 1.4 not sure which build). As soon as I installed it I started having the same problem. After uninstalling the problem still exists. If you have any steps I can try to correct this I would really appreciate it. It`s driving me crazy.

WinXP Home SP1
IE version 6.0.2800.106.xpsp2.021108-1929

PLEASE! :)
Dear Wheelie4,

If you don`t want to install Windows updates that fix this problem (please look above), please try to download the latest build of Download Express (http://www.metaproducts.com/download/betas/debsetup.exe) and install it. Then please uninstall Download Express and reboot your Windows.

Please write us about the result.
Thank you.

Sincerely,
Alexander.
| Alexander Bednyakov
| Senior Developer
Wheelie4 03/29/2006 07:02 am
> Dear Wheelie4,
>
> Thank you for writing us.
> If you don`t want to install Windows updates that fix this problem (please look above), please try to download the latest build of Download Express (http://www.metaproducts.com/download/betas/debsetup.exe) and install it. Then please uninstall Download Express and reboot your Windows.
>
> Please write us about the result.
> Thank you.
>
> Sincerely,
> Alexander.
> | Alexander Bednyakov
> | Senior Developer
> | MetaProducts Corporation
>

Hi Alexander,

I actually have all the latest windows updates (I manually do that weekly). Also right after I made my previous post I decided to install the 1.5 beta to see if it would help but the problem was still there so I used windows add/remove to uninstall it. Nortons cleansweep monitors my installs so I used it to remove whatever windows add/remove left behind then ran RegSupreme to remove any stragling or obsolete keys and rebooted. It appears the problem is gone thank goodness. So its funny that I did what you suggested before you suggested it but it worked. Thank`s for the tip.
Dear Wheelie4,

Thank you for your feedback.
I am glad that this problem is gone.
Please feel free to contact me if you have any further questions.

Sincerely,
Alexander.
| Alexander Bednyakov
| Senior Developer