Broken download (132/136MB) I could cry

Mark P 03/29/2006 07:02 am
I`ve just downloaded 132MB of a 136MB file (W2ksp4 if you must know). I`m using a shared connection so as today is monday, I paused and changed the speed to background, and the download started again from 0. The partially downloaded file is still 132MB, though. Is there any way to recover this?

I also have a suggestion. Although the new DE handles scripted links much better, there are still a number of sites where one wants to temporarily suspend integration, particularly those which use "streaming" password protected pdf`s. This seems to happen even though I have "Use IE cookies" checked. Turning integration on and off is a pain, and although sometimes shift clicking on a link works, other times it does not. Also, when faced with the DE dialogue box, if one clicks cancel, the page does not then load normally. It would be nice if it were possible either to have this problem sorted out, so that cancelling the DE dialogue would lead to normal page loading, or to have a timed suspend option, so that integration for a particular extension could be suspended for, say, 5 minutes.

Thanks

Mark
Mark P 03/29/2006 07:02 am
Sorry, some more info. Here is the contents of the MDW file. There are 3 strange things about it. The first is that the threads total over 141MB. The second it that thread 5 ends before it starts. The third (and this may just be that I don`t understand the format) is that the thread total is large, but the Bytes downloaded is small.

[FILE]
URL=http://download.microsoft.com/download/E/6/A/E6A04295-D2A8-40D0-A0C5-241BFECD095E/W2KSP4_EN.EXE
Name=W2KSP4_EN.EXE
Size=135477136
BytesRead=90094
Tasks=3
CanResume=1
DoNotResume=0
BlockSize=132303
Protocol=0
StoreType=0

[HTTP0]
Start=33658
End=33875954
Offset=0

[HTTP1]
Start=67773668
End=135477135
Offset=0

[HTTP2]
Start=33900017
End=67741294
Offset=0

[HTTP3]
Start=11719714
End=19354624
Offset=0

[HTTP4]
Start=114034663
End=116127743
Offset=0

[HTTP5]
Start=96773120
End=96773119
Offset=0

[HTTP6]
Start=55192882
End=58063871
Offset=0
Alexander 03/29/2006 07:02 am
Dear Mark,

Thank you for writing us.

> I`ve just downloaded 132MB of a 136MB file (W2ksp4 if you must know). I`m using a shared
> connection so as today is monday, I paused and changed the speed to background, and the
> download started again from 0. The partially downloaded file is still 132MB, though. Is there any
> way to recover this?

Do you have Download Express 1.4 or 1.3 version installed?

> I also have a suggestion. Although the new DE handles scripted links much better, there are still
> a number of sites where one wants to temporarily suspend integration, particularly those which
> use "streaming" password protected pdf`s. This seems to happen even though I have "Use IE
> cookies" checked. Turning integration on and off is a pain, and although sometimes shift clicking
> on a link works, other times it does not. Also, when faced with the DE dialogue box, if one clicks
> cancel, the page does not then load normally. It would be nice if it were possible either to have
> this problem sorted out, so that cancelling the DE dialogue would lead to normal page loading, or
> to have a timed suspend option, so that integration for a particular extension could be suspended
> for, say, 5 minutes.

Please use the Shift key depressed when you click a link you don`t want to be catched by Download Express.

Sincerely,
Alexander
MetaProducts corporation
Mark Peterson 03/29/2006 07:02 am
I have 1.3.0.119 installed on this computer.

Shift clicking works for some sites, but not others, as the new window that opens when you shift click a link sometimes goes on to fire DE up again.

Thanks

> Dear Mark,
>
> Thank you for writing us.
>
> > I`ve just downloaded 132MB of a 136MB file (W2ksp4 if you must know). I`m using a shared
> > connection so as today is monday, I paused and changed the speed to background, and the
> > download started again from 0. The partially downloaded file is still 132MB, though. Is there any
> > way to recover this?
>
> Do you have Download Express 1.4 or 1.3 version installed?
>
> > I also have a suggestion. Although the new DE handles scripted links much better, there are still
> > a number of sites where one wants to temporarily suspend integration, particularly those which
> > use "streaming" password protected pdf`s. This seems to happen even though I have "Use IE
> > cookies" checked. Turning integration on and off is a pain, and although sometimes shift clicking
> > on a link works, other times it does not. Also, when faced with the DE dialogue box, if one clicks
> > cancel, the page does not then load normally. It would be nice if it were possible either to have
> > this problem sorted out, so that cancelling the DE dialogue would lead to normal page loading, or
> > to have a timed suspend option, so that integration for a particular extension could be suspended
> > for, say, 5 minutes.
>
> Please use the Shift key depressed when you click a link you don`t want to be catched by Download Express.
>
> Sincerely,
> Alexander
> MetaProducts corporation
>
Dear Mark,

Please do not release the Shift key until Internet Explorer will show Download File dialog.

Thanks,
Alexander
Thanks

Now, can you help me recover this download (see first 2 messages in this thread)
Dear Mark Peterson,

Thank you for writing us.
Unfortunately, it is possible only if you have the backup copy of .MDW file in the state before the download restart from 0. When restarting, Download Express overwrites the old data about the downloaded fragments.
Is it possible to find this copy of the file?

Sincerely,
Alexander.

See message 2 in this thread

Thanks

> Dear Mark Peterson,
>
> Thank you for writing us.
> Unfortunately, it is possible only if you have the backup copy of .MDW file in the state before the download restart from 0. When restarting, Download Express overwrites the old data about the downloaded fragments.
> Is it possible to find this copy of the file?
>
> Sincerely,
> Alexander.
>
>
>
Dear Mark,

Unfortunately, it doesn`t seem to be the correct file. I checked it before and it seens to be the file of restarted download...

Sincerely,
Alexander.