Unwanted Start Menu Directory Added

David 03/29/2006 07:02 am
I`m running XP Home.

I have used & love Download Express for a long time now. Recently, after re-installing Windows I downloaded latest version. I like to keep a neat Start Menu, so I put my DLE folder put under an "Internet" directory. I did this with the old version and am doing it with the new version, too.

One thing I liked about the old version is when a download was interrupted it would appear on my start menu for restarting,.then disappear after the download was a success. But that ONLY happened when a download was interrupted. Now with the newest version, EVERY time I download something an empty "MetaProducts Download Express" folder is created in my "programs" folder. This drives me nuts! How can I get it to act like the previous version as described above, or get it to recognize the DLE folder in my custom location on the start menu?

Thanks much for your help.
Alexander 03/29/2006 07:02 am
Dear David,

Thank you for your report.
Could you please tess us how do you place Metaproducts Download Express program group to Programs/Internet submenu? Did you move it after the installation?
Could you please install Download Express 1.4 (without uninstalling of the previous copy) and select Internet\Metaproducts Download Express as a name of program group?
Then please test your downloads and write us about the result. Thank you!

Sincerely,
Alexander.
| Alexander Bednyakov
| Senior Developer
| MetaProducts Corporation

jimshu1 03/29/2006 07:02 am
Exactly the same problem here. I`ve been a long time user and this never happened before version 1.4.0.193. The temp shortcut folder would always delete itself after the paused download was resumed and completed. Now it appears all of time...I think it appears even if I don`t pause a download.

I used the install program to locate my Download Express in C:\Interent also, but manually moved the shortcuts to another folder in my Start menu. It shouldn`t matter where the shortcuts are as this temp DE folder always deleted itself in prrevious versions.
Dear Jimshu,

Thank you for writing us.

> Exactly the same problem here. I`ve been a long time user and this never happened before
> version 1.4.0.193. The temp shortcut folder would always delete itself after the paused download
> was resumed and completed.

This works so in our tests. Could you please write us your Windows version number? Thank you.

> Now it appears all of time...I think it appears even if I don`t pause a download.

It is OK - Download Express creates this shortcut in the beginning of download and erases on completion. We make this for cases when computer hangs, is turned off suddenly (power off), etc.

> I used the install program to locate my Download Express in C:\Interent also, but manually

Please note that I didn`t mean C:\Internet disk folder. I said this about Download Express program group in the Windows Start button menu, Programs submenu. Download Express remembers the submenu which you select on installation and creates Incomplete Downloads subfolder there.

Thank you for your help.

Sincerely,
Alexander.
| Alexander Bednyakov
| Senior Developer
My WinXP Pro SP1 version is:

5.1.2600 SP1 Build 2600

My IE version is:

6.0.2800.1106.xpsp2.030422-1633

I`ll reinstall directing the shortcut program group to where I want it.

Thanks!
OK, I reinstalled and directed the program group to Internet\Download Express. That handled it.

This is the first program that ever acted this way for me. Still love it. Thanks.
Dear Jimshu,

Thank you for your feedback.
I am glad that your problem is solved.
Please write us if you have any further question or problem.

Sincerely,
Alexander.
| Alexander Bednyakov
| Senior Developer
David 03/29/2006 07:02 am
Alexander:
Thank you, your suggestion worked!
David

> Could you please install Download Express 1.4 (without uninstalling of the previous copy) and select Internet\Metaproducts Download Express as a name of program group?
Alexander Bednyakov 03/29/2006 07:02 am
Dear David,

I am glad to hear this.
Please feel free to contact me if you have any further questions.

Sincerely,
Alexander.
| Alexander Bednyakov
| Senior Developer