Ability To Detect Redirect URL`s

Curtis M. 03/29/2006 07:02 am
Hi there,

I was using DAP for a long time and still prefer it because I have yet to find a FREEWARE download manager that can recognize a redirect URL from an actual download.

I`m wondering if Download Express is thinking implementing this feature?

Regards

Curtis M.
Alexander 03/29/2006 07:02 am
Dear Curtis M,

Thank you for writing us.

> I was using DAP for a long time and still prefer it because I have yet to find a FREEWARE
> download manager that can recognize a redirect URL from an actual download.
>
> I`m wondering if Download Express is thinking implementing this feature?

Yes, of course.
There are a lot of redirection link types in Internet. Could you please give us a sample of yours to be sure we took this type of links into account?

Thank you for your help.

Sincerely,
Alexander.
| Alexander Bednyakov
| Senior Developer
| MetaProducts Corporation
Alexander,

For instance if I right click on any programs download now link at downloads.com (example: http://download.com.com/redir?pid=10205030&merid=82158&mfgid=82158&edId=3&siteId=4&oId=3000-2086-10205030&ontId=2086&ltype=dl_elite_dlnow&lop=link&dlrs=1&destUrl=%2F3001-2086-10205030.html) and I ask download express to save it, it saves it as a HTM file and it does not tell me that this is a redirect site where as DAP was able to tell me that.

I know this is not a common blunder on users behalf but I`m quite sure there are many newbies out there that are not aware of this.

Regards

Curtis M.

> Dear Curtis M,
>
> Thank you for writing us.
>
> Yes, of course.
> There are a lot of redirection link types in Internet. Could you please give us a sample of yours to be sure we took this type of links into account?
>
> Thank you for your help.
>
> Sincerely,
> Alexander.
> | Alexander Bednyakov
> | Senior Developer
> | MetaProducts Corporation
>
Dear Curtis M,

Thank you for writing us.
Please try to open this url in your browser - it opens an HTML page.
Right after the loading this page in my IE I have Download Express popped up and asking me to save this file to disk.

Could you please test this and write us about the result? Thank you!

Sincerely,
Alexander.
| Alexander Bednyakov
| Senior Developer

> Alexander,
>
> For instance if I right click on any programs download now link at downloads.com (example: http://download.com.com/redir?pid=10205030&merid=82158&mfgid=82158&edId=3&siteId=4&oId=3000-2086-10205030&ontId=2086<ype=dl_elite_dlnow&lop=link&dlrs=1&destUrl=%2F3001-2086-10205030.html) and I ask download express to save it, it saves it as a HTM file and it does not tell me that this is a redirect site where as DAP was able to tell me that.
>
> I know this is not a common blunder on users behalf but I`m quite sure there are many newbies out there that are not aware of this.
>
> Regards
>
> Curtis M.
>
> > Dear Curtis M,
> >
> > Thank you for writing us.
> >
> > Yes, of course.
> > There are a lot of redirection link types in Internet. Could you please give us a sample of yours to be sure we took this type of links into account?
> >
> > Thank you for your help.
> >
> > Sincerely,
> > Alexander.
> > | Alexander Bednyakov
> > | Senior Developer
> > | MetaProducts Corporation
> >
Alexander,

Yes that works but I will give you an example of what I mean. Please go to this URL listed below:

http://download.com.com/3000-2349-10205141.html?tag=lst-2-8

Next right click on Download Now and then choose Download using Download Express if you notice it downloads the file named: 3001-2349-10205141.html instead of realizing that this is a redirect URL and pointing to the file pingalert.exe.

That is what I am referring to. If you need any further clarification please don`t hesitate to let me know.

regards

Curtis M.

> Dear Curtis M,
>
> Thank you for writing us.
> Please try to open this url in your browser - it opens an HTML page.
> Right after the loading this page in my IE I have Download Express popped up and asking me to save this file to disk.
>
> Could you please test this and write us about the result? Thank you!
>
> Sincerely,
> Alexander.
> | Alexander Bednyakov
> | Senior Developer
> | MetaProducts Corporation

Dear Curtis M,

Thank you for your feedback.
We will think about adding this feature to Download Express.
For a temporary workaround please simply left-click the Download Now link to reach your goal.

Thanks,
Alexander

> Alexander,
>
> Yes that works but I will give you an example of what I mean. Please go to this URL listed below:
>
> http://download.com.com/3000-2349-10205141.html?tag=lst-2-8
>
> Next right click on Download Now and then choose Download using Download Express if you notice it downloads the file named: 3001-2349-10205141.html instead of realizing that this is a redirect URL and pointing to the file pingalert.exe.
>
> That is what I am referring to. If you need any further clarification please don`t hesitate to let me know.
>
> regards
>
> Curtis M.
Alexander,

I found another example of what I`m referring to except this does not entail right clicking.

Please go to this website listed below:

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=59338

then if you click on the file netclip.exe under 0.50 it brings up the Download Express window, however this is not a direct link to the download as it redirects to the page for downloading. Even if you copy the shortcut to netclip.exe under 0.50 (http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/netclipboard/netclip.exe?download) Download Express still treats it like a normal download and not a redirect page and the only way to bypass this is by holding down the shift key and then getting to the actual download page to download the file.

Is their anyway this can be fixed seeing that this is not the result of right clicking and choosing Download using Download Express.

Regards

Curtis M.

> Dear Curtis M,
>
> Thank you for your feedback.
> We will think about adding this feature to Download Express.
> For a temporary workaround please simply left-click the Download Now link to reach your goal.
>
> Thanks,
> Alexander
>
> > Alexander,
> >
Dear Curtis M,

Thank you for the good test link.
This link demonstrates why we are developing the new integration system for Download Express, instead of classic "click monitoring" scheme. Please look how it works now - look for details in "How to test Download Express integration" section at Download Express manual page: http://www.metaproducts.com/mp/DE_concise.asp?id=18

DE checks file extensions when you click a link. As you can see, these links contains EXE files, this causes the problem with the current integration system. The woraround is to use Shift key, as you wrote, and release it only before the last "real link" click. Or, use DE Options | Integrations| "Monitor Ctrl+Alt clicks only" switch and use Ctrl+Alt keys depressed when you want to send a link to Download Express.

Thank you for your help.

Sincerely,
Alexander.
| Alexander Bednyakov
| Senior Developer