DUTCH translation

Alexander 03/29/2006 07:00 am
Dear friends,

We have two Dutch translations of DE user interface. If you know Dutch language, could you please download and test DE with both translations from: http://www.metaproducts.com/download/betas/desetup2.exe
Please compare the "Dutch (Nederlands)" and "Nederlands" variants of translation and send us a message to support@metaproducts.com.
We would like to know which translation is better.

Thank you very much for your help!

Sincerely,
Alexander.
| Alexander Bednyakov
| Senior Developer
| MetaProducts Corporation
Wim 03/29/2006 07:00 am

IMHO the "nederlands" is a litte bit better than the "dutch"
But both translations are useful and I respect both translators.

(o, ja, vertaler: Mass Downloader is dat andere programma van MP.
Verder: Goed gedaan jochies :-))
Ik geniet van de Beta

> Dear friends,

>
> We have two Dutch translations of DE user interface. If you know Dutch language, could you please download and test DE with both translations from: http://www.metaproducts.com/download/betas/desetup2.exe
> Please compare the "Dutch (Nederlands)" and "Nederlands" variants of translation and send us a message to support@metaproducts.com.
> We would like to know which translation is better.
>
> Thank you very much for your help!
>
> Sincerely,
> Alexander.
> | Alexander Bednyakov
> | Senior Developer
> | MetaProducts Corporation
>
Dear Wim,

Thank you for your help.

Sincerely,
Alexander.
| Alexander Bednyakov
| Senior Developer
| MetaProducts Corporation
Rene 03/29/2006 07:00 am
I have done translation work before and i.m.h.o. both have their strength and weaknesses. At some point one is a better translation than the other and vv. "Dutch (Nederlands)" seems better in the configuration and one of the two used "More" in stead of "Next" in the installation process, which is also seen in other contexts where "More" suits better. Then both fail in the translation of the dialogue that asks permission to add an extension. I would translate that differently.

It is more difficult than you think, especially when you translate the strings in one or more files and don`t check afterwards if the program context is right for that translation. What I would do is three installations (English, Dutch (Nederlands) & Nederlands), compare them and come up with a better one. I think it is key to see the translation in the program.

May be this goes too far for you, but that is my opinion from a translator`s point of view.
Dear Rene,

Thank you for your comment.

Sincerely,
Alexander.