x64 and Mass Downloader

ghostrider2k 11/17/2010 09:45 am
Will there ever be a true x64 version of this app? Seems to like to crash after some time using it. No other apps running beside crash and even when it is the only active open app it still crashes in about 3 hour mark? Memory hole in app construction?

Win7 X64, Intel dual core @ 3.33GHZ, 8 gigs PC2 6400
Alexander 11/19/2010 09:04 am
Thank you for writing us.
Could you please check the massdown.exe file version info? Please open Windows Explorer, go to the Mass Downloader installation folder ("c:\Program Files\Mass Downloader\" by default,) right-click the massdown.exe file, select the Properties item of the popup menu. In the properties dialog please select the Detail tab. What file version it has?

Thanks,
Alexander
ghostrider2k 11/19/2010 11:53 am

same as in the 'about' section of the program.
Alexander 11/20/2010 03:30 am
Could you please download and install the latest build from: http://www.metaproducts.com/download/mdsetup.exe ?

Thanks,
Alexander
ghostrider2k 11/28/2010 07:13 pm
Okay, holidays are done for now. Downloaded the update and it is worse than the old one. This one won't even connect now. SO I am totally out of use on this program.
Alexander 11/29/2010 08:43 am
Do you have this problem with all downloads?
Is Mass Downloader allowed in your firewall?

Thanks,
Alexander
ghostrider2k 11/29/2010 08:58 am
Yes, nothing changed, I have been using MD since it came out. Only installed the new version. Rechecked Firewall, system settings. Nothing changes. I got it to *try* to download after I watched the ping rate on my system. It was super slow. Did the old reset and restart of the computer, it pinged faster but not what it used to do. So I wiped the new download and reloaded the old version. It at least works even if it does tend to lock up (memory leak) after a few hours.
All logs on this do indicate a memory leak (or in this case a failure to release memory hooks.) maybe because I am using an 8 gig 64 bit system, and it was not designed to use higher memory locations than 4 gig?

I had placed a question on here a while back but no answer was forthcoming, are you planing on releasing a 64 bit version of this program?
ghostrider2k 12/03/2010 01:02 pm
Ah, Once again the sound of crickets.....
I will take that as a 'No'...

Or more is it more like...
'No we are unable to program in 64-bit, you paying customers will just have to go elsewhere for a worthy 64-bit program...that works...that's not 32-bit...well works and is 32-bit..you get the idea'

Why tech support here is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last time I buy a product from you people that is guaranteed!!!!!!

Well everybody, if I found a good working 64 bit downloader, I will be back here to let you all know instead of wasting your time with these 'people' here.
Jan 12/03/2010 06:53 pm
ghostrider2k, MD has no need for 64bit.
The reasons:
- no need for extra address space (it doesn't even need the 2gb 32bit address space has by default).
- no change in performance (implied, as it doesn't do anything intensive, and network and hd are the limiting factors, not memory)
- 64bit windows handles 32bit apps without issues (however, bugs in the apps is another issue).

What MD do need:

- not refresh all rows for every row when you massdelete projects
Select progress view.
add 100 projects, start 3 (wait until they're really active), then select all projects and delete.
Result: it tries to create/start a file for all projects, one by one, refreshing all rows for every project.
It can take 10-20 seconds to delete 100 projects (even if only 3 is started).

Recommendation: when actually deleting, check if MD has a unselected project to go to after the
delete, then try to start that one (or if there arent, i.e the queue will be empty, don't), not every
single selected project that is to be deleted.

Maybe a bugfix or two as has been mentioned in assorted threads.
Alexander 12/06/2010 03:50 am
ghostrider2k,

Jan is right, there is no need to port Mass Downloader to 64bit system. The problems you are experience are caused not the 32 bit architecture.

Regarding crashed - does Mass Downloader offers you to send the crash report to MetaProducts? We need this report to debug the application.

Could you please send it to me?

Thank you,
Alexander