Nortion Internet Security says MD is a virus!

Pavel Tsvetkov 08/20/2009 04:05 pm
Dear Sirs,

I have NIS 2009 installed on my computer and for some reason (after downloading the latest antivirus signatures, I guess), it started recognizing MD v3.7 as a virus (Win32.Induc.A) and deleting it every time I tried to install or use it.

NIS 2009 is very light on system resources, but it is also one hell of a job to configure it and I have not been able to find out how to add the executable of MD to the exceptions...

Please, help!

Yours sincerely,
PTs
Thiago Souza 08/20/2009 06:19 pm
Hi,

Not only NIS, but AVG and Avast too. It seems that there is a new heuristc being used by AV programs that identifies mass downloader as a virus.

A fix should be really nice, I had to uninstall MD from my home and work computer, since AVG (at work) and Avast (at home) were being really annoying about this.

Regards,
Thiago Souza

> Dear Sirs,
>
> I have NIS 2009 installed on my computer and for some reason (after downloading the latest antivirus signatures, I guess), it started recognizing MD v3.7 as a virus (Win32.Induc.A) and deleting it every time I tried to install or use it.
>
> NIS 2009 is very light on system resources, but it is also one hell of a job to configure it and I have not been able to find out how to add the executable of MD to the exceptions...
>
> Please, help!
>
> Yours sincerely,
> PTs
Alexander 08/21/2009 01:41 am
Thank you for writing us.

The current version of Mass Downloader published at our site is virus-free. Please download it from our site and install.

Best regards,
Alexander Bednyakov
MP Staff
Thiago Souza 08/21/2009 10:17 am
Hi,

That ain''t the problem, at least with me. I installed MD and had been using it for months. And than suddenly, after recent AV program updates (AVG and Avast), it became a virus. This is obviously a false-positive. To double-check this, I uninstalled it, downloaded from official metaproducts site and reinstalled. But this didn''t solve the problema.

Rergads,
Thiago Souza

> Thank you for writing us.
>
> The current version of Mass Downloader published at our site is virus-free. Please download it from our site and install.
>
> Best regards,
> Alexander Bednyakov
> MP Staff
Alexander 08/21/2009 04:47 pm
Scott,

Please download Mass Downloader from our site. It is clean.

Regards,
Alexander
Jan Allan Zischke 09/08/2009 10:31 am
Hey, you can get more information about this Malware there:
http://www.avira.de/en/threats/section/fulldetails/id_vir/4524/w32_induc.a.html
Christian 09/17/2009 07:29 am
Solution for Avira AV (any version)

After doing a clean re-install of Massdownloader. Avira AV still identified 'massdown.exe' as being infected with virus W32/Induc.A, so this is certainly a false positive.

In any version of Avira AV, there is an option to exclude any file or directory from scanning:

In the main window of Avira AV, go to "Extras" - "Preferences (F8)" - activate "Expert Mode" - select "Scanner" - select "Exceptions" - navigate to "Program Files\MassDownloader\massdown.exe" - accept this into "Exceptions" and repeat the same procedure for "Guard", and that's it.

AlexanderBa 09/17/2009 07:32 am
I've just tested Mass Downloader from our site. It doesn't have such problem.

AlexanderBa,
MP Staff.